Gresley A3's in the early 1960's

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Gresley A3's in the early 1960's

Post by 52D »

Blink Bonny on a four track main line with a golf course behind surely someone on this forum likes A3s and is a golfer.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

giner wrote:
Flamingo wrote:
giner wrote:http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.n ... 19608.html

Diamond Jubilee possibly on the down main coming away from New Barnet into Hadley Woods?
That was my first thought based on the curve, but I don't think it's right for New Barnet. Looks a bit too countrified and if it was New Barnet the gasworks should be visible on the left hand side of the curve.
Yes, true enough, Flamingo. I dove in too quickly on that one. On viewing the photo at 200% there seems to be a small station or something to the right rear of the train. So I'm stumped.
Brookmans Park perhaps?
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

52D wrote:Blink Bonny on a four track main line with a golf course behind surely someone on this forum likes A3s and is a golfer.

I reckon that's taken from about the same spot not far north of Brookmans Park as the pic of Diamond Jubilee, but looking in the other direction, i.e. it's an up train. More that 40 years since I was in the area but I think there was a golf course nearby.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The alleged Brookmans Park golf course in the pic is quite close to the track, ive viewed it on multimap and it is set back a lot further. Perhaps it has been moved in the interveening years. Its not really my area so i will leave it to you GNR men to find out more.
Last edited by 52D on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Flamingo wrote:Brookmans Park perhaps?
Not quite convinced about that either, Flamingo. It's been over 30 years, but I don't remember that deep of a cutting that Diamond Jubilee is entering. As I recall, Brookmans Park station area had bungalows fairly close by and the general lay of the land was level with or even slightly below the level of the line. Anyone here been along there lately?
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Flamingo wrote:

Diamond Jubilee possibly on the down main coming away from New Barnet into Hadley Woods?
That was my first thought based on the curve, but I don't think it's right for New Barnet. Looks a bit too countrified and if it was New Barnet the gasworks should be visible on the left hand side of the curve.
I reckon he's on the Down Fast between Potters Bar and Brookmans Park, somewhere near that 'obelisk' - a coal tax post - on the embankment on the up side. Could be wrong, but I spent a glorious summer's week there once looking after a pile driving rig when contractors were sheet piling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_tax_post
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

giner wrote:
chaz harrison wrote:
Re. Centenary at WGC, note also the back of the northbound local turning out onto the down main for the two track section over Digswell Viaduct and on to Woolmer Green.
Was the "slow line" north designated a goods line, so that all passenger trains would be turned out? Presumably this would allow goods trains to "queue up" in the section on the approach to Digswell, to wait for their path through the double track?

Chaz
Good question, chaz. Maybe some of our ex-employee members might have the answer to that one. I don't know if it was actually "designated" as such, but it seems an entirely reasonable use for that stretch of the down slow.
Shown as the 'Down Goods Independent' in the 1947 LNER Sectional Appendix, which means that freight trains could be admitted to an already occupied section of line and form an orderly queue to pass over the mighty Mimram when there was a suitable margin!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

hq1hitchin wrote:
Flamingo wrote:

I reckon he's on the Down Fast between Potters Bar and Brookmans Park, somewhere near that 'obelisk' - a coal tax post - on the embankment on the up side. Could be wrong, but I spent a glorious summer's week there once looking after a pile driving rig when contractors were sheet piling.

What is a "Coal Tax Post"?
Never heard of this.
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

[quote="Bryan

What is a "Coal Tax Post"?
Never heard of this.[/quote]

Quite a few of them still about on the railway, Bryan - certainly by the Down D.C. line near Carpenders Park going into Euston and I remember a Southern bloke pointing one out to me on a ride to Slade Green. They seem to have melted into the backgound:

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

hq1hitchin wrote:
Flamingo wrote:

I'd agree with this, 'hq1' : - Down Fast not far short of 'Hawkshead bridge', about 1500-ish yards north of Potters Bar station.

Seems quite a few of these various photos of pacifics in the several topics, were taken in this immediate area, looking one way or the other.

WGC
The second Down line to Digswell (where it was controlled by Welwyn North box) was still a permissive Goods line from just outside WGC signal box right up until the 1970s resignalling started impacting here (1973?). So all passenger trains had to normally be on the Down Main from WGC, unless it was essential that one or more of them had to use the second road, permitted once a Block conversion ticket to Absolute working was conveyed between the signalmen, from WGC to Welwyn North.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
robmort
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by robmort »

Any chance of posting photo links that work?

Thanks
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

robmort wrote:Any chance of posting photo links that work?

Thanks
I dont think it is the OP's fault if the link doesn't work well over a year since the original posting, so that is a bit harsh.

You might as well trawl through every forum post with a link to a Fotopic site and post exactly the same comment.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Welcome robmort.
Appreciate your interest and wishing to see what everyone's been posting about, but if the working of links ceases outside of the poster's control, then, as Strang steel says, it can be daunting to anyone to consider trawling back through several hundred posts to look for, and replace links : And that's if the poster has backup copies of the images, can easily tell which is which (in relation to what each post was about at the time), can find a new hosting gallery they're happy with, enters the images there, and re-posts all the new links; -
AND, they have the time and inclination to go through all that. At present, I certainly wouldn't (luckily I have only posted rather few images at all).

The affair of Fotopic going under has already been mentioned, with all those thousands of images lost and lnks thereto rendered useless, though to be fair, I don't of course know if it is the same sort of fate that has caused neildimmer's many links to cease working at sometime in so many intervening months.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by neildimmer »