Berwick photo

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Berwick photo

Post by Bryan »

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Berwick photo

Post by 52D »

I think its a J34 No.18 Later LNER 9018 Although i will bow to any authority on NBR locos. It has an unusual 4 wheel tender fitted. I am guessing that the reason for the non standard tender is to lessen the axle loading so it would be suitable for working over lightly laid lines. The loco was stationed at Parkhead at the grouping. I dont know its earlier allocations but i wonder if in lieu of the small tender the loco is stationed at St Margarets at the time of the pic for working over the Lauder Light Railway and has just worked a pick up freight up to Berwick.
EDIT One of my North British contacts thinks it may be a loco from a class of 0-6-0s that didnt make it into LNER stock. Watch this space.
Awaiting further details but there is a class of NBR 0-6-0 similar to the J34s that had a four wheeled tender and had all been scrapped before the grouping.

There is another post connection in my general chat post long-shot-t3409.html about the grounding of the Rask, South of Berwick the man holding the Salmon in the picture was a crewman of the Berwick Lifeboat that day Ted Lough.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Following cross checking with a couple of NBR experts the loco above is not a J34. It is indeed of a class that was scrapped before the formation of the LNER. Comments below.

I agree entirely that the engine at Berwick is of the same class as 207, i.e. the Dübs goods 0-6-0 as rebuilt by Matthew Holmes. Only on this class were the leading sandboxes fitted at exactly the same height as the leading wheel splashers. I suspect that the one in the picture that you sent is No. 185, the first of the class, as other photos of 185 also show the modified tender, where the frames have been rearranged so that the springs and bearings for the tender wheels are outside the frames rather than inside as first designed. Only a few of this class had that particular modification.

52D comments further, the number 185 was later reused on a new build J35, this number had 9000 added in 1923 and in the 1946 scheme this loco became 4472 a number that conjours up something else.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

From the same book as Bryan got previous picture from there is this one a D32 or in NBR speak a class K intermediate No.889 later 9889, 2450 and finally 62450 withdrawn from St Margarets march 1948.
Attachments
D32.jpg