Returning to Grantham

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Returning to Grantham

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Also know to catch fire, if they got to near a flame :shock:

The new ticket machine always reminded me of a lathe???? bet they weighed a ton. and if I had 1p for every ticket I'd collected, whilst standing in a freezing LT&SR ticket box, I could have bought a heater???
Great pics 61070, 10,000 to go :lol:
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Firbeck
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Firbeck »

Hi
I'm a newbie here, this is my first posting.
I was put on to this site by a friend, we were both astonished by the quality of the photo's published by 61070, they are truly magnificent and, best of all, record the staff and life on Grantham Station, something that us 'Erberts with our Brownies and limited pocket money film, never bothered to observe, the pictures of the buffets in particular brought back many memories, I never thought that I'd ever see anything recorded like that.
We started to visit Grantham from Nottingham in the mid 50's, my brother intially took photo's with his Brownie in 1958, and I followed suit later on. Quite frankly our pictures are not of good quality, but they are at least a record of events, you may find some of them interesting.
I have also a few tales to tell, but for starters, a couple of pics of my own.
Firstly, perhaps a rarity, the original Deltic heading south, August 1960:

Then circa 1962, A3 'Donovan' backing out of the shed road:

I have more if anyone is interested, not good quality though.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Welcome aboard, Firbeck! 'Brownie' or not, your photos are a most welcome addition here - I don't think there's anyone would disagree with that - the more the merrier.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I will second the above post stuff to support 61070s efforts is most commendable and welcome it gives us a look into the past not normally recorded by enthusiasts. Probably every photographer started on a brownie or similar, mine was an Ilford Sporti 6 and 120 film not everyone could afford a Leica.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

Certainly vastly superior to my own Brownie (complete with sticking plaster) efforts!
Do post the other Grantham pics, along with your reminiscences...
Cheers
Robt P.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Welcome aboard, my feeble efforts with a 126 ' Instamatic' were a starter to to something better, if there steam or interesting diesels, there welcome.
Have you noticed the amount of coal on 'Donovans' tender??
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Thanks Firbeck - I never saw the prototype Deltic at all until it was in the Science Museum at South Ken. I'm sure I had a jigsaw of a photo of it, though, that I made up loads of times. Your picture makes it look fantastically impressive. In fact just by looking at it you can almost hear and feel the noise and vibration that will build up when the driver gets the 'right away'.

Dear old Donovan has its tender generously filled to well over cab roof height - as also seen on several locos in my father's pictures.

Really looking forward to your tales and more of your pictures - I was hoping that fellow Grantham spotters would join in, and very pleased that you have.

My next 'mini series' of pictures will be 'spotters'. Are some of them Nottingham lads? You may be able to tell us.
Firbeck
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Firbeck »

Photography was always an issue in our family, father had a box Brownie pre war which somehow got swapped for a 35mm Leica via a German Officer during the invasion of Germany in 1945, but that's a long story. This got misplaced on a holiday train from Nottingham Vic to Mablethorpe, early 50's, it wasn't until he bought my brother a plastic Brownie for Xmas in 1957 that we really got going again.
Our first trip to Grantham was 1957, we had no camera, the train from Vic may well have been pulled by a GCR A5 in those days, looking at my Combined Volume at the time, I see I have marked down 69814/17/23, who knows, it may well have been one of those.
Our first excited sighting of an A4 was standing on the shed line at Grantham, only it wasn't an A4 it was 60700, I talked to my brother last week and he can confirm this, there's a shortage of photos of this loco in BR days, pity we had no camera at the time.
Our next trip was 27th May 1958, only the old man didn't hang around, he whisked us off down to Peterborough, A1 hauled down Stoke Bank, A4 on the return journey, pity it wasn't the other way around. While waiting for the train to Peterborough, we took this picture, A4 Quicksilver heading north, clearly the chime whistle is blowing, it must have been stationary though as the poor old Brownie would never have coped:

Not too brilliant, but never mind, I can never work out whether those coaches are of the blood and custard variety, more when I have a bit more time, I'm a bit busy today.

Incidently, I have another pic of Deltic at Doncaster that I took during the infamous Ian Allen works trip from Nottingham Vic, promised Truro and 1000, but ending up with a knackered B1. I also recall the first production Deltic arriving at Grantham, I'm sure it was 'Alycidon', it was full of technicians in white coats carrying clipboards, one surprised us by appearing to be Chinese, I have a pic of that incident somewhere.
Last edited by Firbeck on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Anyone recognise the three young spotters and what loco is hidden behind them and the A4.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Firbeck
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Firbeck »

Our photo's were printed by a friend of dads, he was cheap but he made some peculiar decisions when it came to actually framing the 'finished' prints as you will see in the future, some of the results are a complete mystery to me, but I still have the original negs, one day.........................
This is a typical one, 'Britannia' at Grantham, unfortunately the image has been wierdly printed, I know the whole engine was there originally, taken incidentally on a parcels heading north circa 1963, the cab was full of spotters until he left:

Looking at this again, I can't work out on which platform it was taken, whats that number mean, it could only have been parked up somewhere along the platform heading north, must have been a short train. I'm puzzled, there's clearly a middle road on there, I was sure it was taken at Grantham but now I'm rather uncertain, York?
My memory is clearly going and I can't find the original print with the details written on the back!!!

Incidentaly, I'm sure that the loco on the A4 picture is a B1 with the number revealed on the neg.
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

I'm sure I have a picture of 4472 also showing that number 512 sign so I think the picture of 70000 was taken at York, not Grantham. Don't know the numbers but one of the outer platforms away from the main concourse side.

Also see picture of V2 60877 in Neil Dimmer's collection, photo ref 92893 at York, which shows a similar sign with the number 528 on it. Looks like a point motor identifier.
Firbeck
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Firbeck »

I'm clearly having a bad start here, yes, I'm sure it was York, thinking about it, I have plenty of pics taken there and it must have been filed in the wrong place.
I've also been put right by Rob237, he's seen a different version of the Quicksilver picture, one that I had professionally re-printed, it shows more of the scene:

As you can see the 'B1' is in fact 04/8 63869, which I think was Colwick based at that time.
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

John, many thanks for continuing to post photographs it really does show what the Railways and indeed Life life was like in those days. As a coincedence your photo of WD 90189 entering Grantham is the same Locomotive that is listed in model form on e-bay at present as Item No :- 130379549598. Small World or what ,out of a class of 733 I believe.
Firbeck
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Firbeck »

As to their earlier numbers, I think the first batch of WDs which were bought by the LNER after the war were classified either O6 or O7 ( one of those classes was the Stanier 8Fs) and got numbers in the 631XX range.

At or about the same time the railways also took many WDs on loan, and those still had WD numbers in the 70XXX or 77XXX ranges. I can remember seeing 77XXX WDs in my early spotting days 1948/49. Eventually all the numbers were collected by BR and ran from 90000 to 90732. I'm sure there is a list of these changes published somewhere.[/quote]

I thought you might be interested in these extracts from my extremely battered 1949 addition of the Combined Volume, this was passed on to my brother from a neighbour, then on to me, clearly there was some confusion about BR Standard numbering at the time.

Without checking my maths, thats 499, 730 listed in my 1960 Combie, impossible then to work out which was 90510.
I wonder where the missing ones were, still clanking around Europe or possibly on the bottom of the Med.
There don't appear to be any of the Austerity 2-10-0's listed, they must have come later.
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

60129 GUY MANNERING wrote:...As a coincedence your photo of WD 90189 entering Grantham is the same Locomotive that is listed in model form on e-bay at present...
Excellently weathered too...a small watering can could reproduce 61070's thunderstorm!
Cheers
Robt P.