Darlington Saltburn branch

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Kenny
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Darlington Saltburn branch

Post by Kenny »

I've seen a photo of A5 69832 drawing a rake of ex LMS coaches out of Saltburn's excursion platform. I assume the loco was acting as station pilot and was moving the coaches to the Jubilee sidings.

In the book 'Tickets not Transferable' by Les Turnbull (Ergo Press) there is a photo A8 69892 standing in the main platform at Saltburn station. Behind the loco in this photo, which was taken on 22/4/57, are two BR mark 1 coaches in the excursion platform.

Quite a few pages back on this topic there's a photo of Fairburn 2-6-4T 42085 arriving at the excursion platform ca1962 with a rake of coaches and another of A3 60081 waiting to depart (the platform is not visible however as the shot was taken from the street).

In various books there are photos of locos around the shed, turntable and goods shed.

Ken
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Whilst not strictly Darlington to Saltburn for those who are interested in local railway history, the latest edition of Steam Days magazine has an article in showing Port Clarence and Haverton Hill in 1962; the article is called The Durham Rail Tour by a G L Pallister
RedKlad
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by RedKlad »

I have a few negatives of that trip; here's one here.
Attachments
neg 2.jpg
RedKlad
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by RedKlad »

Here's the only picture I have of a train in the excursion platform at Saltburn station. It dates from summer 1957, was taken (I think) by Norman Preedy, and, if I'm not mistaken, featured in an Ian Allen NER loco spotting book of the day to demonstrate what an NER A8 4-6-2T actually looked like in the flesh.
Attachments
Photo by NE Preedy
Photo by NE Preedy
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Ref the A8 ,I believe the "Gresty's" shop in the background at Saltburn was a well known local fishing tackle supplier
Very good photos; thanks.
Ex Boro-Lad
RedKlad
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by RedKlad »

It was indeed; mainly sea fishing gear. If you wanted river tackle Harry Brough's shop at Redcar was a better bet.
RedKlad
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by RedKlad »

Has anybody got any ideas on the two attached photos please? Both are shots which were available commercially to purchase for many years, and indeed may still be. The A8 shot (69855) is described as being taken at Redcar and the L1 shot (67760) described as being taken ''between Redcar and Saltburn''. I have looked at them off and on for many years and cannot fathom either of them for the locations attributed. The L1 would be a 'foreign' loco for the area anyway, but a running-in turn from Darlington Works would be possible. Many thanks.
Attachments
Photo by unknown
Photo by unknown
Photo by H Davies
Photo by H Davies
Armstrong
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Armstrong »

Redklad

The A8 69855 is running into Richmond station not Redcar and I would suggest the L1 may also be on the Richmond branch but as yet the location has yet to come to me also.

Armstrong
RedKlad
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by RedKlad »

Richmond for the A8 shot is spot-on, thank you Armstrong. Not sure about the other one - assuming that's a station in the background, the topography suggests the likeliest location as 'Richmond-bound out of Moulton Halt'. I have no reference material for this station but the chimney stacks at nearby Scorton station seem altogether different.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I believe BBC Radio Tees has a query going, on the "Newton Aycliffe to Port Clarence electric railway"
Wednesday afternoon between 1 & 3pm there's a local historian trying to dig up answers to listener's questions.
This one I would guess is more likely to be the Shildon to Newport Clarence Railway line but it may be worth a listen.
Eric. Stafford
DPSimulation
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by DPSimulation »

Dave wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:25 pm Just got my latest North Eastern Railway Assoc mag, included was a new publications list..this may be of interest.
Darlington, Middlesborough, Saltburn and branches.
The book covers the Darlington, Eaglescliffe, Middlesborough, Redcar Saltburn line and the following associated branches: Fighting Cocks, Stockton Goods lines, plus the many goods and steelworks branches in the Middlesbrough area..................Price at meetings £4.50p by post £5.75
Hi Dave

I was intrigued by this post but it's several years ago now.

Is this publication on the list the association have posted here? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K2Bh8P ... FIk5B/view

And if so, would you happen to know which one it is?

Thanks in advance.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Its on the list of line diagrams which is the first section of the attachment and under its own name, ie Darlington, Middlesborough, Saltburn and Branches
DPSimulation
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by DPSimulation »

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

L1s were occasionally used on the coast services; indeed, one of them was active on the last day of Whitby-Saltburn operations, on trains to/from Scarborough.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Just nabbed a copy of "Tickets not Transferable" for under a fiver, posted :mrgreen:

Thanks for the heads up on it, even though it was a while back. I must have missed this thread at the time :(