Darlington Saltburn branch

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Darlington Saltburn branch

Post by cambois »

Cargo Fleet station was closed in 1990 due to the work required to be carried out on the subway - the cost was a centurys worth of the revenue at that time. Grangetown, also hopelessly under-used followed in 1991, but it meant that the service into Middlesborough from the east was quite a bit faster and more competitive with the bus.

Where the trolly busses operted by Teesside Railless Traction Company of is my imagination working overtime?
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

cambois , the trollys where owned/run/opperated by the Teesside Railless Traction Board (TRTB) - hence the local nick-name ''trackless'' , then with local goverment council re-shuffle got taken over by Teesside Municiple Transport , then an attempt at a larger system failed and sadly the system was uneconomical and removed .
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

Thanks for that Mr B. My memory is only partly gone!!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

mr B wrote:cracking picture jw , its Smeaton Street in Doggy , the trollys turned at Doggy then headed back towards Slaggy , turned at Bennets Corner junction for Normanby Top to turn and return or Cardboard City here they turned around the Bullring and headed back . A grand opperating system that went no where , plans to extend to Redcar was squashed by the United Automobile Co .

mr B
Any chance of a translation for DOGGY and SLAGGY?
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

DOGGY is North Ormesby allegedly because it was a "dog-rough" environment. SLAGGY ISLAND is South Bank, again a part of the world where the colour green is unknown. A link that may be of interest is http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/teesspeak/page33.phtml
Eric (former Boro boy)
harvester51D
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by harvester51D »

Just joined the forum, always been interested in this line being a Boro lad, I stood at those Sussex Street gates from a very early age., I have collected memorabilia from this line for many years, however have slowly disbanded my collection over the years but still have enough hopefully to interest other members and will post photographs of same in time. one point I noticed the shot of the 31 in Thornaby station ( was this the special that brought the BR hierarchy for the opening of Zetland House ? ) in the same shot shows the large hanging sign in a frame, this must have been a painted sign , and an enamel double sided sign with same wording replacing it later as I have one half of it , actually the one in the photo.
mr B

Post by mr B »

Bryan wrote:
mr B wrote:cracking picture jw , its Smeaton Street in Doggy , the trollys turned at Doggy then headed back towards Slaggy , turned at Bennets Corner junction for Normanby Top to turn and return or Cardboard City here they turned around the Bullring and headed back . A grand opperating system that went no where , plans to extend to Redcar was squashed by the United Automobile Co .

mr B
Any chance of a translation for DOGGY and SLAGGY?
bennets corner.jpg
Bennets Corner , Normanby Road , the building with the dormers behind the Sunbeam is Bennetts Undertakers . Lawn Terace continues past the traffic lights (now-a-days for South Bank station near Asda , and yes trains stop , but its only the Saltburn-Bishop Auckland-Saltburn 2 hourly service ) , Middlesbrough Rd runs parallel , turn left for 'Doggy' and right for '
Cardboard City'

1, Slaggy Island .... South Bank
2. Doggy .............. North Ormsby
3. Bennetts Corner ... infamous junction center of South Bank (Bennetts undertakers once owned the corrner 'shop' ! )
3. Normanby Top ..... Normanby Village , turn round
5. Cardboard City ..... Grangetown
6. the Bullring ........... large round about / end of council estate Birchington Avenue Grangetown

mr B
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Welcome Harvester51D...I reckon the 31 has the official opening of 51L special. Must be around June '58
AUK 51F
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by AUK 51F »

TANFIELD wrote:Darlington to Saltburn Branch. Middlesbrough to Saltburn.
Aowch! What's the snafu at Middlesbrough East? Looks like the d.m.u. and the steam loco are in some way entangled? There's a group of railwaymen standing staring/discussing so something is up for sure.

I've had the privilege of working trains from Wolsingham to Darlington then south on the main line and I also learned Darlington to Saltburn over a decade ago and indeed lived in Saltburn for 6 months.

I'm sorry to say I've not got any photogrpahs, I think because I thought my stay in Saltburn was going to be longer than it turned out so I always thought I would take photographs "tomorrow". Used to hear the Thornaby based Class 56s screaming up round the curve from the station junction at Saltburn onto the Boulby branch.
Sir Nigel's secret spacer
> > > You can't beat the distinctive whirr of a Gresley bogie passing at speed > > >
mr B

Post by mr B »

for Grangetown ..... http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/cardboardcity/

for South Bank ....... http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/slaggyisland/

for Warrenby (steel works & village) near Redcar .... http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/themarsh/

welcome aboard Harvester51D , any photos of the area would be most welcome

mr B
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I reckon the 31 at Thornaby is D5510 on 5th June 1958 for the official opening of 51L. Was there a special for the Zetland House opening?
harvester51D
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by harvester51D »

Thank you STAFFORDA4 for putting me right on the 31 at Thornaby. I knew it was a special for opening something in late 50s
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

for those of you who know the area there's a funny bit on "the Enigma of Allens West" if you google Teesside Urban Legends
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

The day Sir Brian came to open 51L just before the glass carriage poked it's nose through the top end of the bullring doors one of our-no names no pack drill-had moved the table to move a green arrow out but between setting the table and getting back in the steam engine cab someone else-again no names----moved the table for their engine. Chuff chuff squelch and the tender and table hand rails said a close hello to each other. At that Sir Brian came through the door. !!!
We stood in front of the bent rails while ------ moved his engine back or forward as we used to set the engines chimney first into the stalls.------ later got made into a loco inspector, honest I didn't drop a clanger for me to be made an inspector well lets put it like this I never got found out. The outside table had a do as well when an engine J26 went a different way to which the driver was looking. later hold up point levers were installed. The engine I derailed was at Newport but that was five or six years earlier, I just reversed her and all wheels came back on the road. One problem working with hold up points and also being on your own you while going backwards wound the reverser to foregear and dropped off, the engine would then stop itself and start moving forward. This gave you chance to hold the point over and when the last wheels cleared the blade end you ran and climbed into the cab and continued driving into the repair shed. We could only do this with piston valve engines, lever reverse engine had a nasty habit of stopping with wheels astride the hung point !!
happy daze. JB.
Cargo Fleet...Claggy Foot. Location of Stalag Lawson school in the 1st fleet. Boys upstairs and Maidens downstairs
mr B

Post by mr B »

the go ahead has been given for a new halt at Middlesbroughs James Cook Hospital , work to start in the spring .

mr B