Thompson B1 photos

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

Thompson B1 photos

Post by neildimmer »

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Thompson B1 photos

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
61070---Woolmer Green ?
61168---Wood Green, Dn Slow 2
61179---Potters Bar, Dn Main
61334---Potters Bar, Dn Main

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by neildimmer »

neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by neildimmer »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents
61070---Woolmer Green ?
61168---Wood Green, Dn Slow 2
61179---Potters Bar, Dn Main
61334---Potters Bar, Dn Main

manna

Thanks Manna, captions updated

Just need 61245 location now

Neil
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

61070 - I'm not sure about Woolmer Green, to me that looks more like the bridge about 1/4 mile south of Greenwood Box. I think Stevie said it was known as Folly Farm bridge, though I never knew it by that name, we always called it 'Hadley Woods'. I wish I had a quid for every hour I spent there!
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Hello Neil,

How can I get hold of a copy of the great photo of 61070 please? I use it as my login here because it used to be our phone number at the parental home (0LE3 61070 in the early days of STD!), not because I have any special link with the B1 - which I don't think I ever saw; but it would be great to have a good copy of the photo(digital will be fine).
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
You could be right there Flamingo,I,ve found a pic of a N2 in the same place,about 1920 and the same spiky tree is in both pics, Sorry Neil
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by neildimmer »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents
You could be right there Flamingo,I,ve found a pic of a N2 in the same place,about 1920 and the same spiky tree is in both pics, Sorry Neil
manna

No problem, caption updated, anyone else confirm this?

Neil
neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by neildimmer »

Hi All

Bit of info pulled from the LNER Encyclopedia regarding 61057, built July 1946.
On 7th March 1950, No. 61057 crashed into a stationary goods train in dense fog whilst pulling a mail train from Peterborough to Liverpool Street. This was scrapped 30th April 1950 due to the severe nature of the damage
http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.n ... 27344.html

Neil
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

61070 photo - The cutting just seems a smidge too deep for Hadley Woods, and I'm not convinced about it being just south of the Great North Road bridge at Woolmer Green, either - the background, if lookiing north, would surely show the smaller bridge of Heath Road.
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

I must admit not knowing Woolmer Green well, hardly ever went there, so I can't be 100% sure about ruling it out. But I do have a 1957 photograph of a V2 which is one of my own and was taken at 'Hadley Woods' from a very similar location to the one of B1 61070, just a little farther away from the overbridge. The telegraph wires on the side of the cutting look the same although the trees in the B1 picture are taller and in full foliage, which may be because my picture was taken earlier in the year and possibly a few years earlier too.
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

Neil,

I am not sure that 27325 is taken at Bridlington -the "tower" in the background causes me to think this as I don't recall this feature but I could be wrong, certainly 61304 was a Hull engine at one time.

Graham
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Flamingo wrote:I must admit not knowing Woolmer Green well, hardly ever went there, so I can't be 100% sure about ruling it out. But I do have a 1957 photograph of a V2 which is one of my own and was taken at 'Hadley Woods' from a very similar location to the one of B1 61070, just a little farther away from the overbridge. The telegraph wires on the side of the cutting look the same although the trees in the B1 picture are taller and in full foliage, which may be because my picture was taken earlier in the year and possibly a few years earlier too.
No doubt in my mind that 61070 is on the Down Fast at Hadley Woods (about two miles from where I lived for my first 24 years). Can't reconcile the surroundings with Woolmer Green at all (which I live around four miles from, these thirty years, and travel through every workday). For one thing, the cutting depth is less by the bridges there.
Perhaps the near-ground level position of the camera accentuates the depth of the cutting.

The photo looks to have been taken near a point where the NE corner of that part of the woods which were west of the line ran down to a point level with the track, about 300 yards south of the site of Greenwood Box (though the photo looks to have been taken too close to the track to have been possible from outside the wire-netting boundary fence).

I would venture that the taking of the photo post-dates the 1959 completion of the quadrupling between Greenwood and Potters Bar, as the foreground Down Slow's transition from bull-head to flat-bottom rail is bonded up across the fishplates, for track circuiting, and in the distance through the bridge arch, there appears to be the back of a colour-light signal whose head is large enough for it to be of 'four-aspect searchlight' type, which would make it BN24, New Barnet North box's last signal for the Down Fast.
Last edited by StevieG on Sat May 22, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Flamingo wrote:61070 - I'm not sure about Woolmer Green, to me that looks more like the bridge about 1/4 mile south of Greenwood Box. I think Stevie said it was known as Folly Farm bridge, though I never knew it by that name, we always called it 'Hadley Woods'. I wish I had a quid for every hour I spent there!
Flamingo,
Yes that's the bridge I've referred to as 'Folly Farm', though as I had said that seemed to be just amongst the local railway staff, and I never heard that name until starting to get onto 'the inside'. Previously, like everyone else I imagine, it was indeed just "Hadley Woods" to me, whether approached down Bakers Hill or through the woods from Monken Hadley. What I always understood to be the 'Folly Farm' seemed to be small farm-like buildings east of the line by 1/4-mile, on the south side of the track leading from the bridge, nowadays depicted as Hadley Wood Road, though they looked rather derelict by the 1970s at the latest.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \