For GNR fans

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

For GNR fans

Post by Flamingo »

Here are a few shots which may appeal to the GNR fans among us (others may look but at their own risk).
Shed scene at Loughborough with GNR No. 1 and GCR No. 506
Shed scene at Loughborough with GNR No. 1 and GCR No. 506
Stirling Single GNR no. 1 in action on the GCR
Stirling Single GNR no. 1 in action on the GCR
GNR no. 990 Henry Oakley leaving Keighley in 1977
GNR no. 990 Henry Oakley leaving Keighley in 1977
Not the real thing unfortunately: Atlantic 4433 in miniature at Audley End in 1975
Not the real thing unfortunately: Atlantic 4433 in miniature at Audley End in 1975
Two shots of the Stirling 8-Footer, GNR No.1, when it was working on the preserved GCR line in 1982. Then we have GNR 990 Henry Oakley in action on the KWVR in 1977, and finally a fine model of an Ivatt Large Atlantic as LNER 4433 on the miniature railway at Audley End House in 1975 - 10 1/4 inch gauge I think, anyone know if it's still there? A class I never saw, though I can claim to have heard the last one BR 62822 on its farewell run in 1950.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: For GNR fans

Post by CVR1865 »

How many of the Atlantics got into BR ownership? Did they recieve BR blue or Green?

Great shots by the way, especially the KWVR, really looks like time has stood still there.

Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

From memory only about a dozen C1s came into BR ownership in 1948 and nearly all were withdrawn without being renumbered in the 628XX range. None of them got BR blue or green livery but possibly a couple got BR lined black, though I stand to be corrected about that. The last one of all was 62822 which hauled a farewell special from KX to Doncaster in November 1950 snd was then withdrawn. I went to Wood Green to see it come through but it was a very foggy Sunday morning and all I can claim to have seen was the white exhaust against the grey background of the fog. At least I heard an Ivatt Atlantic in action though!

Both the preserved Ivatt Atlantics GNR nos. 251 and 990 came out again in 1953 to work a few specials for the centenary of Doncaster Plant but for whatever reason I can't now recall I failed to see them. It's about time 251 got another airing I think.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It's about time 251 got another airing I think.
I'd love to see that too, but I think it's highly unlikely. It was preserved in 'as built' (unsuperheated) condition which renders it a bit gutless. Given all the agonising over Green Arrow's cracked monobloc, I think it highly unlikely the NRM would allow it to be resuperheated.
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

Yes, I'm afraid you're right about that. Did they choose that condition because it was the first large Atlantic, or because the superheater flues were n.b.g. anyway? But it did come out in 1953 in as-restored unsuperheated condition, double-heading with no. 990. Something similar should not be impossible these days given the will to do it, Anthony Coulls has said 'everything in time!', though No. 251 must be a long way down the pecking order.