Ely Dock Junction (built by the LNER)

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Ely Dock Junction (built by the LNER)

Post by R. pike »

Although there were a few changes over the years this junction was still mechanically detected right up to it's demise in 1992..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicholasy/ ... 621878123/
Mickey

Re: Ely Dock Junction (built by the LNER)

Post by Mickey »

Hey Richard you like the Ely area i know that, i went through Ely only a few times around the 1970s (maybe 3 times only?) when the s/boxes were still there once was at at night i remember. When i was at the Ilford signalling school in 1980 there was a booking boy from Ely North box on the same course going up for a signalman's position (he passed the signalling school).
Personally i always thought the Cambridge area was interesting with the railway from-
Shepreth Branch Junction s/box
Trumpington s/box
Cambridge South s/box
Cambridge North s/box
Coldham Lane Junction s/box

There isn't much ever said about the Cambridge area on this forum?.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I spent a lot of time around the Ely area in the late 70's - early 80's The signalling was very interesting and to an extent 'accessible'.. Cambridge was different. None of the boxes had any public access nearby and everything was under the gaze of the management. I used to be fascinated watching the signals at Cambridge however. The British Power Railway Signal Co signal machines were rather distinctive in their operation as were the miniature lower quadrant shunts. I have three ex Cambridge signals in my collection. The signal machines are far better than anything Chippenham could turn out with everything inside being two to three times bigger than it needed to be. I can stand on the operating arm of the machine and it will lift me without hint of struggle ( the scales at Wansford, NVR yesterday show me as 143kg) The lower quadrant shunts needed their rubber arms as they would surely inflict an injury with the speed the solenoid operates. I have a solenoid disc too which was ex south end bays somewhere.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I remember seeing Cambridge South alot but never really ever got up the north end (long platform that Cambridge platform) to see the North box close up but yes i remember the ground shunt signals had 'rubber arms' now that you mention it. Coldham Lane Junction looked an interesting box but i only ever remember seeing it on a couple of occasions but don't really remember that much about it other than it was a 'tall box' on the up side of the line and there was a big signal gantry that it controlled.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Have a rummage through this gallery for some really good Cambridge pictures..

http://gregdash.fotopic.net/c1899041.html
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

There has been quite a bit of comment on the Cambridge St Ives misguided busway.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.