Photos from KX Jack

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Photos from KX Jack

Post by 60526 »

Can you remember the full name of the Stratford Driver who used to come down to Kings Cross mainly on a Saturday to have a chat and sell railway photos. Believe that his name was Jack, although I thought it was Frank, surname Sargeson?
Anyhow, I've found some of the prints I bought off of him, 4487 Sea Eagle has been posted elsewhere. Here are a few more.
Attachments
60024.jpg
60025.jpg
60052.jpg
60829.jpg
MickB
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Photos from KX Jack

Post by MickB »

60526 wrote:Can you remember the full name of the Stratford Driver who used to come down to Kings Cross mainly on a Saturday to have a chat and sell railway photos. Believe that his name was Jack, although I thought it was Frank, surname Sargeson?
Anyhow, I've found some of the prints I bought off of him, 4487 Sea Eagle has been posted elsewhere. Here are a few more.
That could be the late Jack Searle, who retired as a driver at Stratford around the mid 1970's. In the latter years of his career (he started back in 1927 I believe) Jack worked as a Steam Heating Boiler Instructor in the former Diesel Repair Shop at Stratford, something which he continued to do for a while after his retirement. Indeed Jack taught me Boilers at SF DRS back in September 1976.

He was renowned for his B&W photography and he used to spend most weekends visiting various London Termini (but mainly KX) and supplementing his pension by selling examples of his work to enthusiast gatherings.

This is one such example of Jack's work, yours truly at the tender age of 20 a posing during a break from the bolier course:

http://michael170.fotopic.net/p68191793.html

MickB
Marvin
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Marvin »

I realise I'm a little late to the party but...could the 60024 photo have been taken at Aberdeen Ferryhill? The reason I ask is that the view looks very similar to the photos found here: http://www.phantasrail.co.uk/as_ferryhill.htm
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Where is 60052? Looks familiar, but not familiar enough.

Kudu
A3 Spearmint
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by A3 Spearmint »

I believe 60052 Prince Palatine is pictured at 64A St Margarets Depot in Edinburgh.
Interested in the NBR,LNER and shale works railways of central Scotland.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Marvin wrote:I realise I'm a little late to the party but...could the 60024 photo have been taken at Aberdeen Ferryhill? The reason I ask is that the view looks very similar to the photos found here: http://www.phantasrail.co.uk/as_ferryhill.htm
by comparing the two pictures i would say it is the same place the roof and windows look identicle