The Tees-Thames

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

RedKlad
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

The Tees-Thames

Post by RedKlad »

Here are my recollections of the Tees-Thames:-
The first train ran from Saltburn on 2 Nov. 1959, departing 07-05hrs with 5 coaches - up trains stopped at redcar east, Redcar Central, Middlesbrough, thornaby and Eaglescliffe, arriving York 08-40hrs (changing engines there and adding 5 more coaches), then running non-stop to KX arriving 12-15hrs. Down train left KX at 2pm, stopping at Peterborough and Grantham as well as all the other stops the up train made (including carraige removal and engine change at york). Arrival back in Saltburn was 7-23pm. I assume that any Teesside executive wanting to have a meaningful meeting in the Smoke would catch a later train back to the 'Boro than the 2pm Tees-Thames??!!
Attached (I hope!) is a picture of the inaugural up train in Saltburn station (this picture is copyright and reproduced here only with kind permission of http://www.transporttreasury.co.uk). Motive power for the up trains was always a Thornaby B1 or V2 to York, anything thereafter. power for the down trains was anything as far as York, then typically an A1, A2 or A3 Pacific through to Saltburn (a York loco or anything they happened to have lying about spare) In February 1960 York started to use their recently arrive EE Type 4s (Cl.40s) on the train, Eg D251 etc.
I am not certain how many timetables the train ran for but it was short lived and may only have ran for a few months. Also, i do not believe the down train always stopped at redcar east and I imagine that stop was 'by request' only. The headboard being applied to 61255 here was probably home made by either the Saltburn station staff or Thornaby staff to mark the first run. Cast iron headboards were produced and I believe carried in both directions. I have never seen a photo north of York - it would always be dark if the train only ran over the winter of 59/60. Transport Treasury has a couple of very fine George Heiron shots of headboarded down trains awaiting departure from KX.

RedKlad
Attachments
B1 at saltburn
B1 at saltburn
Kenny
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: The Tees-Thames

Post by Kenny »

Thanks for posting the photo of the Tees Thames at Saltburn RedKlad. I haven't seen it before. The Tees Thames stopped running at the end of the summer 1961 timetable. According to the winter 1960/1 timetable the down train called at Redcar East at 7.24 pm.

Trains Illustrated magazine for February 1960 gives two examples of pacifics used on the train between York and Saltburn. these were A1s 60140 and 60153 on 27/11/59 and 7/12/59 respectively. Does anyone know any other examples?

The morning stock between Saltburn and York was, from the engine backwards, comprised of FK, FO, composite restaurant & kitchen, SO,SK & second brake.

Ken
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

What seems to be even less well known is the Tees Tyne Freighter, pictured here in Kings Cross goods yard,

http://www.superstock.com/stock-photos- ... 1895-35937
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
RedKlad
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by RedKlad »

Ken

I have no exact dates but can remember from 11/59 through to the diesels in 02/60 many different York A1s and A2s turning up with the train, including the 2 you mention and 'Flamboyant' certainly several times. With it being only 5 coaches, a V2 was also commonplace. I lost the faith a bit in summer 1960 until the spring of 1962 (converting to aeroplanes.....) but I'd say that when the Type 4s started in 02/60 it was diesel power most of the time thereonin. However, now knowing that the service lasted until the end of Summer 1961 may account for me seeing 60529 'Pearl Diver' at Green Lane heading towards Saltburn with passenger coaches one summer/early autumn evening in 1961. Memorable because it was a Scottish loco and unusual even at darlington.

RedKLad
hull53b
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by hull53b »

Years late with this. Although the named train only operated for a couple of years there were through trains from Saltburn to Kings Cross at least from 1956 (the earliest timetable I have) and through carriages at least until 1965 (the latest timetable I have), the latter years having various combinations of Saturday and weekday trains.