New Marske pit

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

New Marske pit

Post by Bryan »

I found the attached photo at an elderly neighbour of mines house.
She is from the area of New Marske originally and wonders if there is any detail available of the photo.
No idea about photographer or date, nothing pencilled on the back.
Attachments
New Marske pit
New Marske pit
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: New Marske pit

Post by 61070 »

Bryan - this appears to be Upleatham Ironstone Mine. I found the same photo at http://www.communigate.co.uk/york/newma ... ge14.phtml (3rd photo down - a little cropped compared with yours)

Attached is a map dated 1894. I think the photo shows the square building right at the centre of the map, viewed from above the Drift just to its south.

There's a book - see the catalogue at http://www.cihmag.com/bl.pdf (item 42)

Upleatham Ironstone Mine
Simon Chapman
PB 128 pages £6.95
This is the history of the large and important mine which was the reason why the village of New Marske was established. Working started in 1851, and continued without a break until the mine became exhausted in 1923. Simon has put together a fact laden story which draws heavily on available documentary material produced when the mine was in operation. This is a substantial work and its value to the student of the Cleveland ironstone mining industry is immense.

A good place to find out more would be the Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum: http://www.ironstonemuseum.co.uk/
Attachments
Upleatham Ironstone Mine 1894.jpg
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Thanks for the info.
I had to miss a bit off the photo when I scanned it on my A4 scanner.
I tried to miss the sky so as not to miss lower detail.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

bring back the good times, another old haunt, the drift mine in Erringtion woods (Upleatham mine), oftern delved into the depths in boyhood days, if you walk through the woods today unless you knew, it would be hard to find.

mr b
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Reviving this a little, i have been looking for 4 locos built by Thomas Richardson Hartlepool Ironworks supposedly for the Derwent Iron Co at UPPER LEATHAM, turns out that several books have been compounding this error and the locos were actually at Upleatham. Poor pic of one enclosed
Upleatham (2).jpg
Upleatham (2).jpg (46.99 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.