30s at the 'Cross - New discoveries?

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

soulmansteve
GNR J52 0-6-0T

30s at the 'Cross - New discoveries?

Post by soulmansteve »

I recently won some wonderful 6" x 8" photographs from the 30s on Ebay. The vendor had submitted a very poor scan and I suspect I was the only bidder because they went for a song! They are undoubtedly prints made at the time, the clue is in the considerable 'silvering' which is a characteristic of pre-war photographs. The question is are they previously unknown? The subjects are (of course!) excellent and display the hallmarks of quality equipment & technique. I'd be grateful for any comments, particularly if anyone can identify the photographer - a long shot I agree! Here are two of the five LNER subjects, all being A1/A3s taken at King's Cross, quite probably on 29th September 1934 as one is marked as such.
Attachments
Dick Turpin, King's Cross probably 29/09/34
Dick Turpin, King's Cross probably 29/09/34
Grand Parade, King's Cross probably 29/09/34
Grand Parade, King's Cross probably 29/09/34
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 30s at the 'Cross - New discoveries?

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Have'nt seen many pictures of Grand Parade. what a bonus! great pictures both of them,luck boy :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

Rather reminiscent of the photographic work of Rev. AC Cawston, who took many A3 pictures in the mid-thirties.
Indeed, his classic shot of a driver leaning right out from the cab of Grand Parade (again!), to look back for the 'right away' at Grantham North in 1937 remains my all-time favourite LNER picture.
Cheers
Robt P.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Pass the date and engine numbers to Tommy Knox, he runs a site that has a LNER pacific database. Apparently he is having a few problems at the moment and is not fully back online. He will probably have all the details except photographers name.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.