C1 Atlantic 3287 - Donor for the Bluebell Atlantic Project?

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

claudh
NER Y7 0-4-0T

C1 Atlantic 3287 - Donor for the Bluebell Atlantic Project?

Post by claudh »

Went to a talk organised by the Southern Electric Group last night about the Bluebell Railway's Atlantic project - they are reconstructing an LBSCR Atlantic from a C1 Boiler recovered from a Sawmill at Maldon.

The talk was similar to one done at the SEG just over a year ago, when most people didn't make it because of the snow and ice. Anyway the point of my rambling is that last year the speaker said the boiler was built as a spare, last night he elaborated by saying it was a spare that HAD been used on 3287 from either 1941 or 1943 until the engine was withdrawn in 1945.

I dived into my RCTS 'Green Book' when I got in to see if there was a picture of 3287 but unfortunately not.

I was wondering if anyone here can point me in the direction of a published photo or indeed if they have an image of their own?
Last edited by claudh on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claudh
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: C1 Atlantic 3287 - Doner for the Bluebell Atlantic Project?

Post by claudh »

Obviously the subject of this should say Donor!

The other thing I forgot to say was the boiler found at Maldon was one of four, one was from another C1 and one apparently was from one of those wonderful looking M&GNR 4-4-2T's.
Not certain about the fourth.
The second C1 boiler was apparently scapped in the late 1980's, I don't know what happened to the M&GNR one, Anyone know?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Presumably the second C1 boiler was in poor condition then?
Otherwise it could have been a donor for the surviving C1, or as the basis of a GNR new build.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
claudh
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by claudh »

richard wrote:Presumably the second C1 boiler was in poor condition then?
Otherwise it could have been a donor for the surviving C1, or as the basis of a GNR new build.

Richard

A new C1 now that would be worth seeing.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes, but they're building a Brighton-ified one instead! Close...
Perhaps we can get them to paint it in GNR green! lol

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

claudh wrote:Anyway the point of my rambling is that last year the speaker said the boiler was built as a spare, last night he elaborated by saying it was a spare that HAD been used on 3287 from either 1941 or 1943 until the engine was withdrawn in 1945.

I dived into my RCTS 'Green Book' when I got in to see if there was a picture of 3287 but unfortunately not.

I was wondering if anyone here can point me in the direction of a published photo or indeed if they have an image of their own?
'Yeadon's Register Volume 13' gives boiler number 9359 (new) 14/8/1943, which 3287 carried until it was withdrawn on 6/10/1945.
There is a picture taken on shed of 3287, which looks to be mid-late 1930s, on page 28, it was a Sheffield loco at this date. Is that the location of the picture?

John
claudh
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by claudh »

Thanks for that John, I will have to invest in a copy of that volume of Yeadon's as well.
Incidently can I assume that 3287 probably emerged in 1943 with both a new boiler and a coat of all over black livery?
Once again the RCTS book seems a little vague, talking about variations in Apple Green liveries and then jumping to BR black.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

claudh wrote:Thanks for that John, I will have to invest in a copy of that volume of Yeadon's as well.
Incidently can I assume that 3287 probably emerged in 1943 with both a new boiler and a coat of all over black livery?
Once again the RCTS book seems a little vague, talking about variations in Apple Green liveries and then jumping to BR black.
There are no details of livery in 'Yeadon's Register' for the lesser mortals - i.e. below Pacifics. I don't know if that information was on the record cards. If policy was followed then yes to LNER black. On the tender 'NE'?

I have looked up Neepsend Sheffield and the picture I mentioned is there, as is another on page 41 (see E.M Johnson Woodhead, Part Two). Many others are there in the GCR volumes, not stated as such.

Willie Yeadon was not interested in where things were initially; but what variations could be gleaned from the record cards. I think many locations are indentifiable. I would like to ask if Forum members can identify a 'Yeadon's Register' location to put it forward for verification by other members? I don't think we can use pictures for this unfortunately - unless they are your own copyright, but Class, loco number (where known), volume and page number may get the ball rolling.

John
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

claudh wrote:Obviously the subject of this should say Donor!
If you go to your original post and choose 'edit', you will find that you also have the option to amend the title of the thread... :wink:
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The man may have a Turkish food fixation :D
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
claudh
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by claudh »

65447 wrote:If you go to your original post and choose 'edit', you will find that you also have the option to amend the title of the thread... :wink:
So I can!