merlin

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

merlin

Post by third-rail »

just seen a of picture a A4 no 1934 named bryan with ner on the tender, it did look odd and, how long did it keep that name and what colour was it
Belvoir
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: merlin

Post by Belvoir »

If you can find a copy - Plates 50, 51 and 52 within Brian Morrison's "Power 0f the A4s" shows all three temporary re-names.

Briefly, one Mr. Fitzherbert-Wright then a newly appointed director of the LNER ( also immortalised by the naming of B1 (6) 1249 ) had, in August 1944, A4 locomotive 4486 Merlin fitted with temporary name and number plates to honour his three children.

The numbers were the yeaers of the childs birth.

1928 Brigid
1931 Davina
1934 Bryan ( Third time lucky ?? )

Merlin would have been in wartime black.

Peculiar goings-on during wartime........ perhaps "Power of the Directors" but NOT the D10 / 11 sort.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

third-rail wrote:just seen a of picture a A4 no 1934 named bryan with ner on the tender, it did look odd and, how long did it keep that name and what colour was it
Surely you mean NE on tender although i can conjure up an A4 in full NER livery.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

There is an article on page 29 of this months Heritage Railway (issue 150) detailing these temporary renames and a picture of 'Bryan' AKA Merlin in wartime black
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the Heritage Railways item implied the nameplates were cast, but I thought they were wooden? (wartime and all).
Also, I couldn't understand why they listed it under "news"!?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

It is quite obvious from the original Doncaster negative register that these namings were carried out over several days, Merlin then returning to traffic as itself. Memories from contemporary staff at the Plant were that the 'plates' were wooden.
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

richard wrote:Yes the Heritage Railways item implied the nameplates were cast, but I thought they were wooden? (wartime and all).
Also, I couldn't understand why they listed it under "news"!?

Richard
maybe because it was un-news-ual !
Jim Brodie