Book: Life Along The Line - Two Particular Photos

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Book: Life Along The Line - Two Particular Photos

Post by StevieG »

Recently browsing briefly through the 2010 book "Life Along The Line" [by Paul Atterbury (Antiques Roadshow expert), 2010, David & Charles) ], I noticed two photos of signalling interest :

- on page 30, a small, very old, fairly near B&W view of a young, uniformed and hatted member of station staff, posing beside, and looking as if in charge of, a 'frame' of four weighted levers (levers were straight, leaning away from operator at about 40-degrees from vertical) apparently on a station platform facing the edge, with chain connections going 'down below', The caption states that his was at Tempsford (GNR main line, Bedfordshire), but I could make out nothing in the surroundings or background to confirm or disagree with this.

- the other, on page 66, a small B&W photo taken of Western Junction (Dalston), North London line, looking west, and slightly down, apparently from Boleyn Road overbridge, showing a Class 20 (English Electric Type 1) diesel-hauled train standing at the twin-searchlight-headed home signal, with a very few non-uniformed people (I think one was grey-haired lady) in 'the cess' apparently going, as if expected visitors, to the box.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \