Mr Romanes

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Mr Romanes

Post by 52D »

Mr Romanes was a Pharmacist based in Duns in the Scottish Borders and an avid railway photographer. The business he started is still going but they have no records of his pictures. Over the years i have seen a few plus some more that are probably attributable to him does anyone have any knowledge of his pictures or know where any are located in books, collections etc.
The subjects were mostly local branch lines and the ECML on the Scottish side although he did venture South now and again.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Mr Romanes

Post by redtoon1892 »

Little wonder he has hardly been heard of when the likes of Colourail,Ken Hoole,etc ,etc bought up many collections and claimed the credits for themselves without thought to the original photographer. I used to send my 35mm off to TruePrint, one day I was thumbing though a Bradford Barton pictorial book and lo and behold there was one of my pics, I knew it was mine as the locomotive moved on just after I took the pic and there were no other photographers present as it was 6am in Gateshead depot, a fellow photographer told me he never sent off film to these firms as they had a nice little sideline selling photos on as they had no copyright. I wrote to TruePrint on the matter but as you might expect I never got a reply.
Dixie
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Mr Romanes

Post by Dixie »

I made contact with the Romanes family thirty years ago and they told me then that they still had some of his photos but not negatives. Regretably, I never followed this up because I was caught up with a major job move. His photos used to appear in the Railway Magazine pre 1930. He was also a compatriot of the father of my friend, the late Cecil Sanderson of Cockburnspath. They used to haunt the cuttings south of the station en route to the summit, with their cameras. Are there any Romanes left in Duns or area? Dixie