GCR Photo

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

GCR Photo

Post by Bryan »

First of all apologies for the very poor condition but it is a scan of a photocopy of a photo.
I have been asked if it is possible to identify the location.
The owner thinks it is taken near Willesden Green Station on the GC main line Wembley area.
I think the loco number is 6092 and is a C4 but could be wrong.

Can anyone provide any more detail?
I will try and get a better copy in the next week or so if possible.
Attachments
6092?
6092?
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GCR Photo

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

The loco is indeed a class C4 (GC class 8B) and is from the North British batch built in 1905. This little pipe on the smokebox side betokens a superheated engine. It is in typical LNER condition - "flowerpot" chimney, lowered dome and no middle steps. Black livery, lining may or may not be present. Date I would guess is in the early to mid 1930s - a few GC coaches but a lot of Gresley stock. By 1936, all engines in this class were superheated but this year saw the introduction of B17s on the GC and so the dispersal of the "Jersey Lillies" began. Given this, plus the variety of stock in the train, a secondary express?

Now to less certain matters. The 4th rail electric lines in the background betoken LT tracks so Norf London. This picture is familiar but I can't lay my paws on it at the moment...
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: GCR Photo

Post by robertcwp »

I think it looks like the London side of Willesden Green too. There are other published photos from a similar position which are captioned as Willesden Green - see for example 61188 on the southbound South Yorkshireman in 1949 on page 394 of Steam Days July 2008.