Redcar /Lackenby locos

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

locodraughtsman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Redcar /Lackenby locos

Post by locodraughtsman »

For 52D -- if you are interested in the current fleet of the GEC 75t locos at Redcar, be aware that most of them will shortly be on a one way trip to the BOS plant for cutting up. Possibly five will be retained in the short term as torpedo shop / BOS/ p/way shunters. Their replacements will be ex-Norwegian Class Di8 Bo-Bos fitted with Class 66-style swing-head combination couplings. How do I know? I am the designer currently working on the coupling conversion drawings at Steel House
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Redcar /Lackenby locos

Post by Greedy Boards »

Norwegian locomotives at Redcar/Lackenby, seems history favours another Nordic invasion in the area - I'll stick to the J26 & Q6 steam eras, and the LNER/BR steam periods.

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Will there be any chance of making an offer for one of the GECs?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
locodraughtsman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Why would anyone want one of our GEC 6-w DEs? 25 ton axle load, spares supply difficult (both for engine and loco), poor visibility in both directions from the cab, low top speed due to the double-reduction gearing traction motor / axle, generally 'tired'? As things stand at present, six will be retained in service for the immediate future, but as for the rest..??
locodraughtsman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Further developements - the first of the ex-Norwegian Di8s are expected into Teesport in about two weeks time. About six of the existing GECs will be retained, but - at present - no plans have been made for the remainder
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

locodraughtsman
sent a pm a while back.
can you have a look please.
locodraughtsman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Sorry - but do not understand 'pm'?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Do you mean the content or that a pm means a personal message?
If the latter then click on the new messages tab towards the top left of the screen.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Im watching the running shed with interest, is there likely to be any gauging problems?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
locodraughtsman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

[quote="52D"]Im watching the running shed with interest, is there likely to be any gauging problems?[/quote

Heightwise - no. Possible width problems in the South Concast / cooling bay areas are currently being addressed
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... permPage=1
Pic of Loco at link above they appear to be beasts.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

went past Lackenby today and the recent (wont say new) locos are on display , any way they are big - for steelworks , just think of a centre cab Clayton , and the simlar size,

mr b
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Well Mr B i was going to send you this info via a pm but anyway to recap the first four were shunted up from Teesdock between two GECs at about 0800 today 20th December they are now visible outside the shed if you look from the trunk road. At 1530 i checked the numbers and livery. The livery is the same as the link i added above, the locos are carrying the following Cargonet numbers 8.712, 8.716, 8.719 & 8.720.
To echo Mr B they are big beasts.
locodraughtsman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

52D wrote:Well Mr B i was going to send you this info via a pm but anyway to recap the first four were shunted up from Teesdock between two GECs at about 0800 today 20th December they are now visible outside the shed if you look from the trunk road. At 1530 i checked the numbers and livery. The livery is the same as the link i added above, the locos are carrying the following Cargonet numbers 8.712, 8.716, 8.719 & 8.720.
To echo Mr B they are big beasts.
Five - I think - one was moved into the loco shop this morning. And five more to follow mid/late January. They will be re-liveryed in SSI colours, couplings changed to swinghead buckeye/hook, and sundry other minor mods.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

for those that have not seen them there is a picture in this weeks railway herald