North Eastern Railway War Memorial, 1923

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

North Eastern Railway War Memorial, 1923

Post by Rlangham »

Built in 1923 by Sir Edward Lutyens who built the Cenotaph in Whitehall, London, this memorial was commissioned by the North Eastern Railway to commemorate the 2,236 men from the North Eastern Railway that lost their lives during the Great War

Memorial by the North Eastern Railway's 1906 built Head Office

As the names are faded on the original memorial, new plaques to record all 2,236 names more clearly have been put up on the side of the memorial

Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: North Eastern Railway War Memorial, 1923

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

On the local news here in the Midlands, there are (yes exacltly) folk wrenching the plaques off War Memorials and selling them for scrap! :twisted: :twisted:

I'd like to sit them down with a bunch of people who not only survived the "Final Solution" but also had a rough time of it while in the Camps. Maybe then they'd realise just why the world had to fight Hitler.

Mind you, under a Nazi Government, they'd not have the freedom to steal war memorials anyway.

It's time for my medication....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!