Flying Scotsman Double Tender

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Flying Scotsman Double Tender

Post by mossie »

Hi Guys

With all the talk about the Flying Scotsman and double tender models on other threads, I thought you might like the picture I picked up at the St. Albans show today.

Sorry to say there is no date or location on the back. Cleaned it up the best I could, but if anyone else wants to try and get a better image I can send them the scan.

Regards

Richard
Attachments
Scotsman.jpg
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Flying Scotsman Double Tender

Post by WOOTANG »

mossie

i just noticed this at the perfect time

have you any others (including if the locomotive came out blue)
JRS - Jordans Railway Simulator
mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

Wootang

No sorry that is the only picture I have, so could not tell the colour.

Regards

Richard
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Is there a location of where Flying Scotsman is ?.........if not I would say, it's just approaching Finsbury Park station, and about to cross Seven Sisters Road bridge ( Down goods?) or is backing onto Finsbury Park Shed.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Is there a location of where Flying Scotsman is ?.........if not I would say, it's just approaching Finsbury Park station, and about to cross Seven Sisters Road bridge ( Down goods?) or is backing onto Finsbury Park Shed.

manna
I can see what you mean there manna, yet somehow, something doesn't seem quite right to me : Like the houses in the background, that I think would be in Isledon Road, yet I thought there were more of them; the terrace was a good bit longer : In fact the background generally looks a bit bare.
Could it be further back in Fins.Pk. depot yard (not so near to Seven Sisters Road), I wonder.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Could be Stevie, but it looks like the Astoria cinema in the background !

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

I thought that myself, manna, but it shows only a very small part of the Astoria, if it is that (looks like there's some scaffolding up as well).. And it's not enough, really, to go on. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.
mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

Hi Guys

Had a look at the picture under a large magnifying glass and the building with the scaffolding looks be a water tank. If you look closely you can see the curves on the corners and the plate sections, also the housing in the background behind the tenders, seem to have white domed roofs. Or is that a trick of the light.

Regards

Richard
Andy W
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Andy W »

Steve, I think it is Finsbury Park but we are talking the station end with the Astoria (Rainbow) behind the loco. The row of houses you are talking about lie below and to the left of the tenders and are of a completely different style. There was originally another row of houses nearer to the road bridge and I think it is those that we are seeing.

The "water tower" to the left is, I strongly suspect, the vent tower for the tube actually being constructed. This sits quite a way back from the tracks.

Finally, on the very left where the picture fades out, is that a signalmens bike that I see a wheel of?!
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Thanks Andy.
It's a difficult one alright (for me anyway).

If the mention of a signalman's bike means you're thinking somewhere very close to No.3 box, then I doubt it (for one thing, given that the camera seems to have been higher than a ground level standing height, I'm mentally picturing the Astoria as being tall enough to have been more evident behind the loco, or somewhere in-shot; unless it's out-of-shot to the right) : What would then be the space between the Down Fast and the other down lines, here looks too wide to me : South of the 7Sis road bridge metalwork there, space was pretty tight - there was some sort of large hut immediately south of the bridge followed by a short gap before reaching the box, and with a narrow walkway from Plat.6 leading off the bridge by a set of narrow steps close by the very elevated Down Slow No.1 setback disc, and along this side, to the box.
There was a more open, but narrowing space between these lines south of the box, yet not this wide, and I thought there were some minor items there (like concrete post-legged wooden battery cupboards), and although I know the old track layout there pretty well, and the angle of the shot doesn't show much of trackwork to be identifiable, I would have thought that, for there, the pointwork that would have been visible would have appeared a little more complex, whereas these tracks have, to me, something of a sidings look about them.
Yet there is something of the photo's overall atmosphere that does suggest somewhere in the Fins. Pk.- Hornsey area.
:(
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by WOOTANG »

sorry im feeling rather stupid at the moment HOWEVER there is 2 small possibilities 1) hull dairy coates (track formation matches the period) 2) flying scotsmans private shed
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

4472 near Blackpool North Shed. Not sure of the date but Ido have it written in my recoeds. Will check. One of several I took that day.
Book 8 6_005X.jpg
ArthurK
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by WOOTANG »

thats a brilliant view of the tenders
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Hi, just come across this thread. Here is a picture I took in mid 60's of Flying Scotsman taking water in Clarence Yard (Finsbury Park). Looks like Alan Ramage on the tender and driver John Hill on the ground. Took some other pictures of 4472, but this is the only one I've scanned.
Attachments
Flying-Scotsman-at-Clarence-Yard.jpg
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Here's another taken on the same day, not a brilliant scan I'm afraid, but slide is dated April 69
Attachments
Untitled-3.jpg