Embarrasing moment, luckily on my own!

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Embarrasing moment, luckily on my own!

Post by silverfox »

Last thurs went out to see 46201 at Pangbourne, she is a rare bird down this way. Then saw she had been subbed by 4464, and as i had not seen her running in the new livery, drove to Pangbourne to video. Then down the A340 to Ufton Nervet as it was going via the Reading West curve to Salisbury
Phase 1 went Great, Arrival at Ufton in good time and kit set up. At 11.15 realised that to get Salisbury it takes the left hand line at Southcote Junction and not the Right hand to where i was standing!!
Wondererd why there wasn't many people around

Ron
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Embarrasing moment, luckily on my own!

Post by strang steel »

Many years ago I once went to East Wales to record Flying Scotsman on my portable tape recorder. I had read (or so I thought) that the loco was running from Newport to Shrewsbury, and thought it would be nice to get her climbing towards Abergavenny.

Drove 100 miles to a very convenient spot by the line, the area chosen by looking at my gradient profiles book. Arranged microphones and set up recorder then sat in the car and waited. From the inside I heard a whistle in the distance, so switched the tape machine onto record, and within a minute 4472 had flashed by.

Unfortunately, the loco was running in the opposite direction to what I expected and was coasting downhill, making virtually no noise whatsoever.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Embarrasing moment, luckily on my own!

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I once set up for a photo of a Black 5 going up Salter Hebble. Only to find out that I'd picked the wrong piece of line and saw the engine in the distance with a suitably volcanic exhaust.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!