Hitchin loco

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Hitchin loco

Post by hq1hitchin »

Things weren't easy by this stage in the war but the LNER is still very much in business. A shot taken by a GI in 1944 on a passing train looking back at Hitchin Loco. Courtesy Neil Stevens
Attachments
hitchin.jpg
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hitchin loco

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The only thing I can remember, that's in the photo is the water tank, was still there in the 70's, and so was a station pilot that seemed to forever be shunting parcels vans vans around, beside Cambridge Junc, (is that yard still there)

If my memory serves me correctly, didn't the Midland, loco shed survive for many more years after it closed as a banana store ??

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

hq1hitchin wrote:Things weren't easy by this stage in the war but the LNER is still very much in business. A shot taken by a GI in 1944 on a passing train looking back at Hitchin Loco. Courtesy Neil Stevens
Unusual view there, 'hq'(/Neil); thanks.
For what it's worth, the train that the photo was taken from was leaving/passing Hitchin up platform on the Up Slow (as I'm sure 'hq' knows), so could have come from the Cambridge or Huntingdon directions.
manna wrote: " .... a station pilot that seemed to forever be shunting parcels vans vans around, beside Cambridge Junc, (is that yard still there) "
Yes, Hitchin Up Yard's still there manna, still with access from the up platform, the siding/s behind same, and at the other end from the up and down Cambridge lines.
I think it's minus a road or two from the east side compared with the good old days, but while flashing by at 125 it looks like there's at least four roads still there, though with at least one secured out of use (probably for poor track condition). But it seems rare to see anything much in there these days, barring perhaps the odd engineering train or vehicle: Sometimes I think I've seen it completely empty.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

There are some rather odd sleepers in the up yard at Hitchin.. The chairs are dated 1943.
DSC09583.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

They are wartime concrete sleepers, There used to be some on running lines near Stapleford and some more near Ashwell/Baldock, very noisy, thanks for the pics. :lol:

manna
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

We had a short section of them on the Worth Valley which, when the preservationists took over, was virtually all concrete sleepers (Dow-Mac, presumably from the 1950s experiments?) under bullhead rail.

I always wondered why they were different - now I know. Cheers, Manna! :D
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

tut , tut a camera in war time , lucky he was'nt court martialed branded as a spy .

mr B
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Well, you DO know that old coal chute was a secret rocket launcher that, set at the right trajectory and on a good night with the wind in the right direction, could have annihilated Knebworth? :mrgreen:
madgewildfire60135
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by madgewildfire60135 »

A few colour shots taken at Hitchin from my collection of original slides for you all to enjoy.

Cheers Simon

http://simonlathlane.zenfolio.com/
Attachments
A1 60148 at Hitchin X1.jpg
LNER V2 60841 at Hitchin X1.jpg
LNER V2 60841 Hitchin X1.jpg
LNER A3 60107 Royal Lancer at Hitchin X1.jpg
Last edited by madgewildfire60135 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

A proper A3, and a V2 in steam :D What I wouldn't give to see that
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

What lovely photos! Thanks so much, Simon.

60148 Aboyeur on the down fast, the two V2s on the up slow with a view of the old shed roof in the background (what I wouldn't give for an hour sitting again on that low wall separating the up platform from the two roads into the shed), and Royal Lancer on the up fast.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Oh, what a lovely sight, a 'Black' A1 and a V2 on a model railway sized five wagon goods train, 'never happened in real life'

manna
madgewildfire60135
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by madgewildfire60135 »

Glad that you liked the images from Hitchin one more for you to enjoy. A2 Class No 60513 'Dante' with a up express to KX.

Cheers....Simon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10257146@N05/
Attachments
A2 60513 Dante at Hitchin with a up service x1.jpg
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Thanks very much Simon. Those are excellent photographs.

It never ceases to amaze me how many great colour photos are out there when you consider the cost of film and its low ASA rating in the early 1960s.

I notice in the first picture that the EE Type 1 has wasted no time in gaining a small yellow warning panel.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Yet another lovely shot, thanks Simon. Just to note she's on the up slow at this point, so probably on a semi-fast from Peterborough.

Got any more Hitchin pics? :D