Anlaby Road Gates

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Dave Le Grove
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Anlaby Road Gates

Post by Dave Le Grove »

When I was a young S & T engineer out of Hull Paragon c1960 ish, I used to go into Anlaby Road Signal Box and marvel at the picture above the Block Shelf. It wa s a shot of the gates closed to the road and a lorry between the gates across the lines. Does anyone have a copy or know where I can get hold of a copy oof this.
Regards Dave Le Grove
dave.legrove123@btinternet.com
07885 446406
01943 816316
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Anlaby Road Gates

Post by 60041 »

Do you mean this one?
Attachments
Crossing incident.jpg
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

hows that for a barrel of laughs,i take it these crossing gates did not cover the tracks when open for road traffic
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

According to the contemporary report, the wagon hit the gates as they were being closed and knocked the gate wheel out of the Signalmans hand. Worn rodding and linkages were blamed.
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

Third rail wrote:
hows that for a barrel of laughs,i take it these crossing gates did not cover the tracks when open for road traffic
The crossing gates covered the tracks as did all the (then) many crossings in Hull.
While I was on the footplate, my father was working at the "pool" doing relief work.
One of his jobs at Anlaby road crossing involved dragging the big gate closed to road traffic as the gates were too much for the hand gear alone in the box. He carried a red flag as well to attempt to stop road traffic making a dash for it.
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
Dave Le Grove
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Dave Le Grove »

bricam5 wrote:Third rail wrote:
The crossing gates covered the tracks as did all the (then) many crossings in Hull.
While I was on the footplate, my father was working at the "pool" doing relief work.
One of his jobs at Anlaby road crossing involved dragging the big gate closed to road traffic as the gates were too much for the hand gear alone in the box. He carried a red flag as well to attempt to stop road traffic making a dash for it.
I have(as S & T ) done the very same thing with those very heavy gates at Anlaby Road Crossing
Suddaby
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Suddaby »

The photo is published in More Illustrated History of the Railways of Hull, and is attributed to C Fisher, Memory Lane Hull. It was taken in 1936 - C Fisher was the gateman, but the level crossing is at Stepney Station on Beverley Road. Apparently it took 15 mins to get the lorry out!

I don't know if Memory Lane are still in business.

Kevin
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

I believe Memory Lane ARE still in business on Hessle Road, also online:

http://www.lordline.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

(Can't see the image in question on there, but only looked quickly. Worth a browse anyway )
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

One foggy morning a double decker bus turned left onto the tracks at Featherstone near Pontefract.

I was an inspector in Leeds bus station at the time and I made sure later that day when the driver came in on another trip I issued him with a local rail timetable telling him if he intended to use thr tracks he would need it.

He didn't even smile
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

three of the gates i can understand, but how did the left hand 'rear' one get into that position?