New archive web gallery

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: New archive web gallery

Post by upney sidings »

A few North Eastern location suggestions followed, including Aycliffe, but then yesterday the following was posted by "Mackay". I hope it helps you : -
Yes, it does, thank you. As it happens "Mackay" sent me a lengthy list of location updates yesterday via my web site. Please note that once the caption enhancement has been fully implemented the image is then moved from 'Queries' across to the 'Recent uploads (E) gallery'.

The signals in that 60005 image have attracted some attention and so I've extracted the left edge of the image for those who are interested therein. Hopefully, I've mangaed to attach it to this posting.

Rgds, Mike M.
Attachments
Aycliffe signal post
Aycliffe signal post
My collection of archive images: http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

upney sidings wrote:
A few North Eastern location suggestions followed, including Aycliffe, but then yesterday the following was posted by "Mackay". I hope it helps you : -
Yes, it does, thank you. As it happens "Mackay" sent me a lengthy list of location updates yesterday via my web site. Please note that once the caption enhancement has been fully implemented the image is then moved from 'Queries' across to the 'Recent uploads (E) gallery'.

The signals in that 60005 image have attracted some attention and so I've extracted the left edge of the image for those who are interested therein. Hopefully, I've mangaed to attach it to this posting.

Rgds, Mike M.
Attachment successful Mike; thank you.
The NE isn't an area of 'mine' at all, so I'm glad you've received a lot more info. as well.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by upney sidings »

I've added a new batch of LNER related archive images to my web site:
http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Ra ... uploads-E/

Nearly all the previous large batch of images have been 'moved across' to their relevant galleries. There's a broader spread of interest in this lot with the GCR, GER, GNR, H&BR and early LNER represented. There are some particularly good images of Gresley A1's which should go down well with this forum's members.

Does anyone here have specific background data for the shot of the US/GER mabulance train for my caption, please? :roll:

Mike M.
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

Some lovely crisp and clear photographs here!

Sorry, but I cannot assist as regards the ambulance vehicles.

However, I am confident that the Holmes Eighteen Incher No. 783 is pictured not at Fort William, as you suggest, but rather at Mallaig, standing astride the turnout leading to the turntable and shed roads. The picture contains some useful detail of the tank at Mallaig, clear images of which seem quite elusive, particularly from this angle.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

A tiny bit of info. about one on the GN, Mike.
No. 3496 : While Potters Bar as a location is correct in a general sense, from the background detail:- the two signals, the straight track, with overbridge - I think this location is what is locally known as Hawkshead, where there was once a signal box of that name, and near the background bridge was where the LNER's Brookmans Park station appeared.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
9001 St Paddy
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 9001 St Paddy »

There has been a number of photographs that have been taken around the Potters Bar area of the GN main line down the years mainly between the 1930s & 1950s i've noticed so maybe a local railway enthusiast owned a camera or someone who travelled to Potters Bar from somewhere else because they thought it was a good location to take photographs of trains?.

Hatfield No.1 box formerly Micky
upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by upney sidings »

Hatfield No.1 box wrote:There has been a number of photographs that have been taken around the Potters Bar area of the GN main line down the years mainly between the 1930s & 1950s i've noticed so maybe a local railway enthusiast owned a camera or someone who travelled to Potters Bar from somewhere else because they thought it was a good location to take photographs of trains?.
This small batch of negatives was all taken by one photographer and were variously notated with "1930's" and, in one instance, "1946". This is typical of the trashy notations that are applied in modern times on negative sleeves. I think that this photographer paid a short term visit to PB in order to photographically record the end of the NLR 4-4-0 tanks on the PB services from Broad Street. There is a negative of one such in the selection but it isn't included with the LNER material for obvious reasons.

Mike M.
upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by upney sidings »

However, I am confident that the Holmes Eighteen Incher No. 783 is pictured not at Fort William, as you suggest, but rather at Mallaig ..........
No. 3496 : While Potters Bar as a location is correct in a general sense, from the background detail:- the two signals, the straight track, with overbridge - I think this location is what is locally known as Hawkshead ..........
Thank you for those gems of background data. They are much appreciated.

Mike M.
upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by upney sidings »

Some lovely crisp and clear photographs here!
Thank you, John. One is, of course, constrained by the quality of the original but I scan only from original images, acetate and glass, which are inclined to be more detailed than old postcard size prints although, all too often, the originals themselves have been damaged over the many years of their existence and haven't had the TLC bestowed upon them that one would wish for.

This message has a double purpose. The first is in the above paragraph - state of the original - whilst the second is ahown in the illustration below. The sleeve is annoted simply "H & BR" about which I know next to nothing. I think that the loco is, indeed, H&BR but can anyone here identify it for me please? There appear to be no identification marks or plates on the engine.

Mike M.
Attachments
Hull & Barnsley 0-4-0T
Hull & Barnsley 0-4-0T
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

What? More photos to look at? Lovely jubbly. Please keep them coming.
Nortonboy
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Nortonboy »

Just like to say the quality of you collection is excellent. Thank you. :D
This unit is fitted with a tea and/or biscuit deprivation sensor.
Activation will result in mumbling, ranting, discoord*%$"ion )&$&"! and )*($£
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Thanks, John. It's always great to see an action shot from Langley Troughs. Photos of that location seem very rare.
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

I think that the loco is, indeed, H&BR but can anyone here identify it for me please?
I can't identify the individual loco but it is one of six class K Well tanks numbered 43 - 48 built by Kitsons between 1886-9. They were all withdrawn in August 1922.

The location is almost certainly outside Alexander Dock shed, Hull.

Hope this helps.

By the way, the location of your recently uploaded photo of an H & B 0-6-0 is Hull Paragon station.

Regards, Solario
Neville Hill
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Neville Hill »

Hello Mike M

The little 0-4-0 loco in your recent image is an H&B Rly Class K well tank, a small class of 6 engines built by Kitson & Co in Leeds, between 1886 and 1889. These were used in the H&B Rly docks area in Hull and particularly for shunting 4-wheel bogies for carrying limber to the stock yards - note the additional heavy timber buffing blocks on the buffer beams for that purpose. The building behind is the rickety timber engine shed located on Alexandra Dock, which was eventually demolished by the LNER due to poor, unstable, condition.
I'd recommend the book by M. A. Barker, titled ''An Illustrated History of Hull and Barnsley Railway Locomotives'', published by Challenger publications, from which these loco details are drawn.

Neville Hill
upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by upney sidings »

It's always great to see an action shot from Langley Troughs.
the location of your recently uploaded photo of an H & B 0-6-0 is Hull Paragon station.
Thank you for those prompts. Both captions have been amended accordingly.
it is one of six class K Well tanks numbered 43 - 48 .........
The little 0-4-0 loco in your recent image is an H&B Rly Class K well tank .........
That image has now been renovated and has been uploaded together with some more H&B material and a couple of little photographed NBR tanks, a D50 and a J84:
http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Ra ... uploads-E/

And now a question for the forum but specifically for 'Kestrel' ...... I have a negative - not a brilliant one it has to be said - that depicts 4485 with valances in place at Newcastle. This means that the shot was taken before January 1942 when the skirts were removed. However, I think that her livery is plain black. Is that possible?

Rgds,

Mike M.