Beamish 8/9/2012 inc. Grimsby & Immingham 26

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Beamish 8/9/2012 inc. Grimsby & Immingham 26

Post by Rlangham »

After the Tanfield I went into Beamish for a couple of hours (it's on the way home, so why not?), Tanfield's Armstrong Whitworth No 2 Diesel was on railway duties at the town together with North Eastern Railway bogie composite - numbered 818 but is actually 1903 built 3071. Finally got to see and ride behind the 'Steam Elephant' on the 1825 Pockerley Waggonway too, and timed finishing there perfectly to get a trip on newly repainted Grimsby & Immingham Tram 26 in British Railways colours, after 40 years of portraying it's original role as Gateshead 10

Armstrong Whitworth No 2 of 1933

View from the inside of one of the Third Class Smoking Compartments

Even the ashtrays are NER stamped!

Simplex painted as ex-LNER 15097

Armstrong Whitworth No 14 of 1933

...Together with the Duke of Sutherland's Highland Railway carriage of 1909, brought back from Canada with the 0-4-4T under restoration at the Severn Valley Railway

'Steam Elephant' of 1815

Trying to be 'arty' with one of the windows in a lineside cabin

Hetton Colliery locomotive

'Locomotion'

Grimsby & Immingham No 26

View down into the Colliery showing 'Malleable' of unknown date (believed circa 1900) with 'Newcastle' of 1901
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Beamish 8/9/2012 inc. Grimsby & Immingham 26

Post by 52D »

Love Ware on the Bufferbeam of the Petrol shunter thats where the Kelso loco ended up, Ware in Hertfordshire.
P.S. Tram is looking very good.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

That little Armstrong Whitworth 0-4-0 on the coach has a certain charm to it!

Cracking piccies, many thanks.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
marksouthcoast
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by marksouthcoast »

They are great photos,thanks for sharing.
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by M Gair »

Thanks for the photos.

My wife and I were there May 2011 and we thoroughly enjoyed our day. My wife is in a similar tourist operator with a Gold mine and Trams here in Bendigo Australia, so was high on our list to do. The only thing was that the railway was not running, though Locomotion was being fired.

Thanks
Mark in OZ
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

It seems the 1913 railway is only operating on summer weekends, although i'm sure that last year the plan was to operate it during weekdays during summer and every weekend year round, could have changed though. I love the 1913 station area, very characterful even with nothing operating, and it's great that there's currently a lot of investment and development being put in to both the 1913 Town and Pit Village railways with new locomotives and plans.

The Armstrong Whitworth diesel is lovely - and it's only ten years difference between it and the Y7 985!
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask