Ben Brooksbank photos

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Ben Brooksbank photos

Post by giner »

Browsing around on the web, I came across the 'Geograph' site and the photos of a Ben Brooksbank. Obviously a well-travelled and keen photographer over a period of many years, he captured many images of all regions of the country. Some photos are not of the greatest quality, but content is the key here. This link takes you to page eight, and onwards, where the bulk of his work concerning the Eastern is contained. Enjoy: http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=36078929&page=8
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Ben Brooksbank photos

Post by 52D »

Yes Giner i have noted Mr Brooksbanks work, he has a good eye for a pic.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Don't overlook p7 for some interesting shots, incl 26500 at Heaton shed.

Kudu
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Cheers, Kudu. I did whizz through the earlier index pages as I wasn't catching too many LNER, etc. titles. Will have a closer look, though.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Here's one of Ben's pictures, that is a favorite of mine, it's at the old Ludgate Hill station, plenty of atmosphere. :lol:

manna
Attachments
800px-Ludgate_Hill_Station_(remains),_with_RCTS_Rail_Tour_geograph-2362410-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Here's one of Ben's pictures, that is a favorite of mine, it's at the old Ludgate Hill station, plenty of atmosphere. :lol:

manna
Blimey! Only ever occasionally seen shots of here taken from a distance, probably from an approaching train. Much appreciated.
Certainly appreciated more than if there at night, tripping over the little heap of detritus, and going headlong down what looks like it could've been a stairwell!
Last edited by StevieG on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Only just had chance to follow the link - loads of interesting photos - many thanks for posting!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Always been fascinated by the widened lines and the line through Snow Hill, love the way they wind around each other.

Here's one just down the line, look how the lines dive under, Magic. 8)

manna
Attachments
Near Farringdon St.jpg
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Nice one, manna! When I was over in England recently, I took the Thameslink from Gatwick to Luton and passed through Farringdon. So tired was I after an all-night transatlantic flight I could hardly keep the old minces open and I didn't get to look at what I might glimpse of what's left. Not a lot, I suppose. Fascinate the hell out of me, these over/under routes through London.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Good shot manna.
Noting that street lights are on, and areas of illumination from them showing up well, that must've been a twilight/night shot. Remarkable result!
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

There are some real gems on the Ben Brooksbank pages. One of my favourites is this one from near the bottom of page 7 :-

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2888718
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The last one of Farringdon St was'nt taken by me (wish it was ) picked it up off the net, but a wonderful shot.

Here's another one by Ben, that I like, and like SS's last pick it's at Harringay West.

manna
Attachments
800px-Harringay_West_Station_geograph-2377653-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

I know there will be strong, regional, competing variations to the answer, but wasn't that whole Ferme Park/Harringay/Hornsey/Ally Pally area the very best when it came to sheer variety in what the steam era was all about? Oh my, what have we lost? I feel sorry for those too young to have known these scenes.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

manna wrote: " .... Here's another one by Ben, that I like, and like SS's last pick it's at Harringay West. "

manna
....Yes. The locos are apparently entering the spur, seemingly purposely for movements reversing direction while running between the Viaduct and either Ferme Park Up yard or the line to Hornsey shed which skirted round the outside of the yard (IIRC, the twin-armed bracket signal was for moves from the spur to the Engine Line and the Viaduct).
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Oh, yes what a variety, of locos we had to look at, would have been at least 25-30 classes of engine, what have they got to look at now, couple of locos and the rest are units, how exciting :shock:

manna