A few photos from 1947 -51

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

DaveF
NBR J36 0-6-0

A few photos from 1947 -51

Post by DaveF »

A few more of dad's photos.
York  A3 81 Shotover down Flying Scotsman May 47
York A3 81 Shotover down Flying Scotsman May 47
Nottingham Victoria V2 60869 York to Swansea March 51
Nottingham Victoria V2 60869 York to Swansea March 51
Grantham North J2 65019 goods for Nottingham Line Aug 50
Grantham North J2 65019 goods for Nottingham Line Aug 50
Sutton on Sea J39 64747 Boston to Mablethorpe July 51
Sutton on Sea J39 64747 Boston to Mablethorpe July 51
I have a lot more, when I get time they will be added to flickr. Meanwhile I will try to post some here from time to time.

I hope you enjoy them.

David
You may enjoy my photos which have now moved to flickr from the sadly missed fotopic.

They can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: A few photos from 1947 -51

Post by 61070 »

Thanks for sharing these and the other batch of photos Dave. Late 40s/early 50s is an interesting period in many ways. I'm looking forward to enjoying more, both here and on flickr.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Lovely pics Dave. Keep them coming: this is the period which interests me the most. The plethora of livery and physical variations between supposedly identical machines, combined with the grime is really beautiful and evocative. Many thanks for sharing them with us.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Thanks for the PM replies David.

These will be very useful photos for reference of my modelling. Keep them coming!

Tom
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The J39 at Sutton reminded me that this location was to be a major coal exporting port and one end of the Lancashire Derbyshire and east coast railway. The GCR and Immingham put paid to that idea never the less its an interesting LNER constituent that deserves further attention if members are in the companies area of operations. I have visited a few locations myself.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

What excellent photos. They have made my day. A photo of a J39 on the Mablethorpe branch is wonderful, and the V2 at Nottingham has lots of interesting detail.

My coaching stock knowledge is not good, so does anyone know the origin of the coach immediately behind the V2?
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

strang steel wrote:What excellent photos. They have made my day. A photo of a J39 on the Mablethorpe branch is wonderful, and the V2 at Nottingham has lots of interesting detail.

My coaching stock knowledge is not good, so does anyone know the origin of the coach immediately behind the V2?
I think it's a Thompson Brake 3rd...I'm in my infancy of understanding coaches, but I'm enjoying the learning. :)
Tom Foster
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

strang steel wrote:My coaching stock knowledge is not good, so does anyone know the origin of the coach immediately behind the V2?
My best guess is that this is a Diagram 127 gangwayed Third Brake of Great Western design, dating from 1938. Footboard and window layout are consistent with this.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

John Palmer wrote:
strang steel wrote:My coaching stock knowledge is not good, so does anyone know the origin of the coach immediately behind the V2?
My best guess is that this is a Diagram 127 gangwayed Third Brake of Great Western design, dating from 1938. Footboard and window layout are consistent with this.
I was right about it being a Brake 3rd all though wrong company all together...as I say though coach learning in its infancy! :oops:
Tom Foster
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Yes, definitely a GW coach. A later design, I think. Hawkesworth, maybe?
DaveF
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by DaveF »

giner wrote:Yes, definitely a GW coach. A later design, I think. Hawkesworth, maybe?
I believe all Hawksorth ones had a different shape roof end, more like the Gresley ones where the end of the roof slopes down.

I think it is older as other posters have suggested.

If only dad had taken as much interest in coaches as he did in locos!

David
You may enjoy my photos which have now moved to flickr from the sadly missed fotopic.

DaveF
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by DaveF »

52D wrote:The J39 at Sutton reminded me that this location was to be a major coal exporting port and one end of the Lancashire Derbyshire and east coast railway. The GCR and Immingham put paid to that idea never the less its an interesting LNER constituent that deserves further attention if members are in the companies area of operations. I have visited a few locations myself.
I'd completely forgotten that, very remiss of me since the Great Central (and hence the LD&ECR) is one of my favourite railways (after the Midland, if I can say that here!).

david

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

GW not my area, but it looks like a Collett designed coach to me. Something like this?

Collett Brake Third

The lack of visible ventilators, unlike the rest of the stock, intrigues.
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:GW not my area, but it looks like a Collett designed coach to me. Something like this?

Collett Brake Third

The lack of visible ventilators, unlike the rest of the stock, intrigues.
My apologies, in my previous post I omitted the diagram prefix; I should have referred to diagram D.127.

I still think the leading vehicle is a representative of this diagram rather than the earlier Collett design numbered 5883, a diagram D.118 vehicle built in 1934. My reasons for sticking to my original D.127 identification are the multiple footboards (as against a single continuous footboard on the D.118 design) and the presence of two droplights midway along the side having a shallower depth than the main windows (cf the D.118 vehicle in which the main windows and the droplights are of the same depth).

The apparent absence of roof vents is a bit of a puzzle, but fig. 265 in Russell’s GW Coaches Appendix Vol. 1 shows a vehicle built to this diagram in which the vents are similarly invisible.

The identity of the second vehicle in the train is more elusive. I think this might be a GW side corridor Third to diagram C.77 built in 1938. I base this on the presence of 8 main windows which wouldn’t fit with a Stanier flush-sided design having only 7 main windows, but I'm far from sure. Any thoughts?