Scrapbook Pic - Year?

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Scrapbook Pic - Year?

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The C12, just leaving New Southgate, on the Down Main, date......1900-1910.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

C12 agree place but more likely to be slow to Hitchin area C1906 - 1914. Head codes changed with adoption of RCH standard - so slow passenger indicated and Main Line means just that.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

The top picture is a fairly well known photograph taken just to the north of New Southgate station (as previously mentioned) what strikes me is that the track appears almost to have been just layed on the surface with hardly any ballast at all?. They certainly didn't go in for 'deep ballasting' back then by the looks of it?.

Interesting to note that all the semaphore signal arms on the gantry on the Up fast & Up slow lines and also the other semaphore signal arms on the Up Goods line signals were all painted RED including the distant signal arms and would have all exhibited RED lights during the hours of darkness.

New Southgate no.2 s/box (signalling the Up lines only) can be seen underneath the 'bridge hole' in the background. New Southgate no.3 s/box (signalling the Down lines only) is opposite no.2 box and is underneath the other 'bridge hole' and just partly out of view of the photograph.
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote: " .... New Southgate no.3 s/box (signalling the Up lines only) can be seen underneath the 'bridge hole' in the background. New Southgate no.2 s/box (signalling the Down lines only) is opposite no.3 box and is underneath the other 'bridge hole' and just partly out of view of the photograph.
...Other way round Micky : - Remember; (generally) even Nos. on the Up; odds on the Down : So it's No.2 above the middle of the train.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote:
Micky wrote: " .... New Southgate no.3 s/box (signalling the Up lines only) can be seen underneath the 'bridge hole' in the background. New Southgate no.2 s/box (signalling the Down lines only) is opposite no.3 box and is underneath the other 'bridge hole' and just partly out of view of the photograph.
...Other way round Micky : - Remember; (generally) even Nos. on the Up; odds on the Down : So it's No.2 above the middle of the train.
Yes you are correct Stevie i don't no what made me get the numbers wrong i'll change it thanks.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote:
StevieG wrote: " .... Yes you are correct Stevie i don't no what made me get the numbers wrong i'll change it thanks.
...Sorry to pick up on that Micky, but you never know who might read our ramblings and take every word as 'gospel' ... .
Last edited by StevieG on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Iron Duke
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Iron Duke »

As always I thank you for some very interesting and informative comments.
62268, was this a common method of coaling or just the result of mechanical failure of a coaling stage?
Compared to today's H&S and working at height regulations this looks potentially dangerous.
The Pirate
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by The Pirate »

Hi Ironduke..........62268 at 61C, Keith Shed. It was common at small sheds to have a small coaling stage with a crane for coaling, and were often hand operated, if you were lucky it might be powered by electricity or a small petrol driven crane. As for H&S, it came down to common sense, and there never seemed to be any more accidents than today, probably less.
Steve.
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the information about coaling and the location.
This sort of thing fills out the background of what would otherwise just be a "scrapbook pic"

ID
workev
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by workev »

Mel,

There's a picture that frequently appears on a well known auction site that shows an A3 being coaled this way at Grantham!

I may even have a copy somewhere.

Ian
Help create a wealth of information
http://www.returntograntham.co.uk/
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Ian,

Thanks for that information, I will have a look on the said site.
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

In April 2013 Andyrush, who no longer seems to be a member, posted some very interesting photographs in reply to my original post. Andy's post shows the bridges spanning the railway in the section from Peascliffe towards Barkston. I was going to contact Andyrush to see if he can point me in the direction of the Graham Austin Collection, credited as the source. Has anyone by chance any knowledge of the location or contact details for this collection?

Many thanks in anticipation - ID
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm afraid Andy passed away a number of years ago. His main involvement was with the GERS, so I'd say that would be the most likely candidate for custodians of the pictures you're looking for, unless they were from some unknown individual.
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

I'm so very sorry to hear that news, but thanks for letting me know.
I will contact the GERS and enquire, although I do have a couple of CDs purchased via the GERS showing issues of the LNER magazine, so it might be worth looking through those too.

Many thanks again - ID