Scrapbook Pic - Year?

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Scrapbook Pic - Year?

Post by strang steel »

Iron Duke wrote:Thank you for the confirmation on the second pic.
Anyone have any information on the signal configuration?
I have been to Barkston many times (late 50's to 70's) in the past but cannot remember this signal, was it changed at some point?
Yes, it was replaced on the west side of the tracks by a colour light signal with white "feather" lights for the junction to Barkston East J and beyond.

You can see it here:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/ ... 072007852/

I have tried to understand the point of having the up signal mounted on the down signal gantry like that. Unless it is protecting a crossover behind the camera then I do not see the point, as there was a bracket signal just before the junction where the up loop/siding joined the up main.

That other signal can only be 100 yards back, but maybe there were sighting problems - I don't know.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

The signal's main post is on the Up side, making it 'wrong' side for the Down signals (not so unusual, though more common on several railways other than the GN), but probably making them better-sighted by drivers from a distance, and of course being on the 'right' side for the Up signal.

That Up starter is certainly not very far from the box compared to the majority of places (was there a more advanced Starting signal nearer Peascliffe, I wonder? - So that any Up train arriving which was waiting for the section ahead to become clear to the next box, would have been able to go clear of the junction before stopping), though close spacing of stop signals was not unusual in appropriate, necessary circumstances.

One possibility for its position could be that one function of the box's interlocking involving its lever was that of 'holding the route' ; - one pre-track circuiting method (not GN-specific) of preventing premature operation of points for a next train after/while a train was passing over them, was by having the locking arranged so that the lever of the running signal next beyond the points, when it was in any position other than Normal (i.e. signal probably at 'Clear'), locked the points levers in whichever position it/they were already in, thus holding the points until such signal was replaced to Danger.
With this signal at Barkston South being not far from the box and junction, it could be put back to 'On' sooner after an Up train than if it was further away [but not before the whole train had passed it; LNER/BR Rule 68(a) :D ], thus freeing the points earlier.

However, as I said, just a possible factor. If we had a Locking Table for this box of that time, we would know if I'm right.
Last edited by StevieG on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Danby Wiske wrote:Hi Derek,

You identify the first picture very accurately, but StevieG's comments related to the second picture on the thread - do you recognise that?

Very Sorry to you all, but to "StevieG" in particular. One very senior moment and please no "Del Boy" you are a stupid Plonker as I know that !! :lol: :lol:
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

60129 GUY MANNERING wrote:One very senior moment and please no "Del Boy" you are a stupid Plonker as I know that !! :lol: :lol:
Don't worry Derek - it happens to us all! :wink:
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

60129 GUY MANNERING wrote:Very Sorry to you all, but to "StevieG" in particular. One very senior moment and please no "Del Boy" you are a stupid Plonker as I know that !! :lol: :lol:
Not a problem sir GUY. I have managed something similar once or twice.
Although the pic in question was the one then just-posted, which I knew most certainly wasn't at Grantham Yard box, I didn't actually state to which photo I was referring! :)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

With regard to the Barkston South picture.

The leading set looks like a quad to me. I don't have access to the books at present, but I will try and identify later.

The service could be an Up Parly. Maybe the 2.30pm, or thereabouts, from Doncaster to Peterborough, arriving about 3 hours later. This service was often used as a running in turn, which looking at the loco's condition it might well be.
Yeadon states that the double chimney was fitted in July 1937, it was out of the works 30/7/1937. I think the picture may well be taken around that date.

John
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Hello JASd17,

Ingenious :)
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Iron Duke wrote:Hello JASd17,

Ingenious :)
Others may argue that it is rather speculative!

But certainly possible.

John
60129 GUY MANNERING

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Guy's this takes some believing, but I assure you it is true. I intended to go to Railex today @ Stoke Mandeville. A round trip of 200 miles from Grantham.I was up most of the night with Dodgy Tummy and so decided to go tomorrow instead. Nothing strange in that I hear some of you say, however I just discovered on RM Web its not on until 25th/26th May.
Now I have Senior Moments, but this is one too far. Her who must be obeyed is considering having me to the Doctors or Vets. Personally I think she feels I should be locked up and the key thrown away.

Regards,Derek. :o :o :o
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Three more scrapbook pics (glue damaged) for discussion.
One is very much Grantham but others?
Any guess on approx year etc?
Attachments
2751..jpg
2747.jpg
2501.jpg
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

Photo 1 - 'Humorist' again, with stovepipe chimney and deflector plates as fitted in January 1938.

Photo 2 - 2747 'Coronach' was fitted with experimental smoke lifting ducts in October 1931, and had them removed in February 1933.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

2747 : Given the Grantham area locations of the others, I hazard a guess that this is somewhere on the 3-track section between Grantham South and High Dyke, and something in my head is thinking 'up train'? Could the signal just possibly be Great Ponton's Up Main Distant?

2501 : I can only contribute that I note a new, not-yet-in-use, colour-light signal standing right in front of the 'somersault'.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote:2501: I can only contribute that i note a new, not-yet-in-use, colour-light signal standing right in front of the "somersault".
I believe that i've either seen this photograph before many years ago (possibly in the first L.N.E.R. album book circa 1969/70) or of another train at this same location which i believe maybe on the Grantham-Newark section on the G.N. main line?.

On further consideration if the 2501 is on the Grantham-Newark section then i suspect that the train is a Up express which appears to be coming out of a 'right hand' curve which would suggest somewhere around the Barkston south Junction area?.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Morning All,

Micky you may be right, my older brother or was it an uncle, had lots of railway books & magazines etc from that period.
Amazingly, I remember them having a big clear out when he lost interest. They went through all of the collection and cut out the pics they liked! :roll:
These were either stuck into scrapbooks or stored loose for reference. Most just include the pic so no photographer / caption was attached.
I am sure he had three LNER albums among the books or maybe four? Lots of Trains Illustrated etc etc...........
My aim is to try and put some sort of caption (with everyones help) to them all, then mount the loose ones and remount the existing.
Are the LNER albums still available do you think?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Hello Iron Duke, the Ian Allan railway Album series of hard back books are well out of print now, they were originally published from about the mid-1960s through to the early 1970s i believe?.

Having said that i have seen a railway books website with a number of those old titles still occasionally being sold such as the L.N.E.R. Albums volumes 1, 2 (and there may have been a 3rd album as well?) with other titles in the series such as the L.M.S. Albums volumes 1 & 2, the G.W.R. Albums volumes 1 & 2, the Great Central Album, the L.S.W.R. Album etc etc...

My very first book in the series that i bought was the L.M.S. Album in 1969 followed by the G.W.R. Album (sorry to all the L.N.E.R. guy's on this forum) although i did eventually buy the first L.N.E.R. Album plus also the G.E.R. Album and the Geat Central Railway Album. :wink:
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.