Trespass on the GNR & LNER

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Iron Duke
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Trespass on the GNR & LNER

Post by Iron Duke »

I took these two photographs at Allington Junction in August 1983.
The first picture shows the line to Grantham straight ahead and off to the left the line to Barkston.
The second is the Trespass Notice next to the box, also seen in picture 1 on the left hand side.

At that time it was fairly easy to find and photograph pieces of original railway infrastructure still in place.
Many of these signs would soon disappear, so equipped with my camera I decided to try and record as much as possible.

ID
Attachments
Allington Junction 1.jpg
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

For some reason picture 2, taken at Allington Junction did not upload, so will try again.

ID
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Picture 2 taken at Allington Junction.

ID
Attachments
1-Allington Junction 2.jpg
Seagull
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

mr B wrote:not been into laws but , would the notice of trespass be enforceable on the grounds that NER notices where on display when LNER was in existance , like wise same warnings with todays BR . Surely the said company would have to display their moto on sign erected ?
A company is a corporate 'body' - a person in effect. So when it's sold or taken over, so are it's rights as a body.

The LNER took over the rights of the NER, GNR, GER, NBR, GCR, etc. therefore it could enforce those rights. The fact that the wording on the signs referred to the previous companies does not matter.

Same thing when BR - or to be exact the British Railways Board took over the LNER.

It only gets complicated when there is an owner and a separate operator. I'm pretty sure that it's Railtrack as the owner that is responsible for enforcement, but don't quote me on that! :?

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Seagull wrote:
mr B wrote: " .... would the notice of trespass be enforceable on the grounds that NER notices where on display when LNER was in existance , like wise same warnings with todays BR . .... "
" A company is a corporate 'body' - a person in effect. So when it's sold or taken over, so are it's rights as a body.

The LNER took over the rights of the NER, GNR, GER, NBR, GCR, etc. therefore it could enforce those rights. The fact that the wording on the signs referred to the previous companies does not matter.

Same thing when BR - or to be exact the British Railways Board took over the LNER. .... "
" .... I'm pretty sure that it's Railtrack as the owner that is responsible for enforcement, but don't quote me on that! :? "
Alan
.... or now, Network Rail Infrastructure Limited, these last 12 years, approx.

Mind you, what most of NR's workforce of today would make of it if tasked with dealing with a trespass case where the defence contended that the maximum penalty payable was FORTY SHILLINGS, is anyone's guess! :lol:
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Cuddie Headrigg said
Wonder what happened to this N.E.R. '40 Shilling' sign from West Pelton?
It may still be there. When I used to volunteer on the Wensleydale Railway we were clearing vegetation at the bottom of an embankment at Castle Hills West junction and , seeing the rotten stump of a trespass sign post , I checked a few feet away and found it face down in the soil. When - 2 of us! - lifted it, it left a perfect negative of the letters in the soil where it had been lying all those years.
sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sss750 »

The GNR also had this variety is trespass notice too.
Attachments
image.jpg
sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sss750 »

sss750 wrote:The GNR also had this variety of trespass notice too.