Computer Coloured Monochrome

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Computer Coloured Monochrome

Post by Darwin4975 »

I do agree with the comment about lack of tones/shades in the B16 shot. Better than b/w but still not the ideal. I hope the members of the forum will not mind seeing this LMS view. It is a very recent effort. The Jubilee 'Zanzibar' was seen near Rugby in May 1939 and for me, this one ticks all the boxes. Few do and they are all recent ones so the 2 years+ seems to be working.
Attachments
5638 bw.jpg
5638 col.jpg
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Looks superb to me! :)
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Best one I've seen so far! :)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Stirling O
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Stirling O »

Brilliant. I would have to agree, the best so far.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

It is very good, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record - the sky does not fit with the sunshine levels. Just a thin spread of blue would improve it much more.

Go on, be brave.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

strang steel wrote:It is very good, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record - the sky does not fit with the sunshine levels. Just a thin spread of blue would improve it much more.

Go on, be brave.
Judging by the shadows, the sun is to the right out of shot? It could conceivably be overcast to the rear and LHS.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I'm afraid not. If it was overcast in the distance the sky would appear much darker, because it would not be emitting a great deal of light.

It just seems a shame to me that all that effort has gone into colouring the track and ballast in the foreground to a very high standard, but nothing has been done to the sky.

I realise that I am a lone voice in the meteorological nerd department, but to me it is as incorrect as coloring the loco in yellow. However, I will go away and give you all a rest from my moaning.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

The Jubilee colour photograph looks great, although the running lines look a bit odd to me for an L.M.S. line although i don't know the area or railway that the photograph was taken in?. On a L.M.S. route it is usually Up slow/Down slow/Up fast/Down fast lines or Down fast/Up fast/Down slow/Up slow lines if thats the case in the picture the train is either running in the Down direction over the Up line fast line in the wrong direction or is running in the Up direction over Down slow line in the wrong direction?. i presume the train is running over a parallel running line section i.e.- Up slow/Up fast/Down fast/Down slow like mainly on L.N.E.R routes.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote: " .... the running lines look a bit odd to me for an L.M.S. line although i don't know the area or railway that the photograph was taken in?. On a L.M.S. route it is usually Up slow/Down slow/Up fast/Down fast lines or Down fast/Up fast/Down slow/Up slow lines if thats the case in the picture the train is either running in the Down direction over the Up line fast line in the wrong direction or is running in the Up direction over Down slow line in the wrong direction?. i presume the train is running over a parallel running line section i.e.- Up slow/Up fast/Down fast/Down slow like mainly on L.N.E.R routes. "
Two possible stretches of lines 'Paired by direction' (i.e. Up/Up/Down/Down) would, I think, be Attleborough-Tamworth, and Armitage-Colwich.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted.
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote:Ok Stevie i am not familiar with those areas of the L.M.S. although i did presume that the train in the photograph was running over a route with 'parallel running' and not in reality running over a running line in the 'wrong direction' with the regulator wide open like that Jubilee appears to be!!. :wink:
...Yes, I thought so.
Another possibility would, I think, be somewhere Crewe North Junction-Winsford.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted.
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albergman
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Albergman »

Hey guys can we keep this on the subject of coloured pictures please?
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Albergman wrote:Hey guys can we keep this on the subject of coloured pictures please?
Fair comment. Thanks.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

The photo was described as being taken 'near Rugby'. The sun was obviously shining brightly from the right and low in the sky. If the train is heading north it will have been early evening and south, early morning, but the direction I do not know.