Computer Coloured Monochrome

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Computer Coloured Monochrome

Post by Tom F »

That is fantastic. For someone who is modelling 1938, it's quite a useful reference point.
Hopefully look forward to seeing some more of your work.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

2750 wrote:That is fantastic. For someone who is modelling 1938, it's quite a useful reference point.
Hopefully look forward to seeing some more of your work.
I would echo Tom's comments. Please keep them coming.

Thank you for sharing your work - much appreciated. :D
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

Thanks for your appreciation. In some cases the picture is quite simple and can be completed quickly. The view attached was done from start to finish this afternoon in about 3 hours. It shows a Robinson O4 at Colwick MPD on a quiet Sunday in 1932. Black engines can still be suitable subjects in this type of work as no black engine was ever really black -even the LNWR ones. Naturally, green, blue and red engines make a more dramatic end result but there are subtleties in a view like this which I like. I'm happy to post more like this so long as there is an interest from members of the forum. Perhaps others will feel inclined to follow suit. It becomes addictive.
Attachments
6624 Colwick '32 col 3SF.jpg
6624 Colwick '32 detail.jpg
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

If I may be so bold, I would suggest that given the shadows of the line of coal wagons on the track below the loco wheels, there is reason to suspect some hazy sunshine, rather than the white sky portrayed on the image.

Therefore I suggest a milky blue colour to the sky away from the shallow cumulus clouds. If I knew how to do these things I would have a dabble myself, but as a computer graphics illiterate I have no idea how it is done.

Sorry, but accurate skies are something of a bugbear of mine.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

I do like that last one.
I've sent you a personal message, incase you hadn't seen it.

Best Wishes
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Even with decent kit, getting a photo just right is probably impossible, because it is a matter of personal opinion. Nothing will please everybody.

The hours you are putting into your work, appear to me to be extremely rewarding, because they are really bringing life to the photographs.

As I was not around to see these locos in their proper liveries, this is absolutely fantastic. Well done! (More please!)
twa_dogs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by twa_dogs »

Having followed the hint to Transport Treasury's website, read the little about CCM and probably added 2 to 2 and made 5, are you David Williams? If so perhaps you could tell us more about the process? What software enables this?
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

The software is extremely well-known and has been around for years -Photoshop Elements, which is a simplified version of the parent Photoshop software package but still quite good enough for this sort of processing. If you can get access to the article published in Steam World July 2013 (this year) there is a description of how it all started and some details of the technique. In the forthcoming January 2014 issue of Steam Days a free calendar will be given out which has more information (and 15 further pictures from all regions). All you need to get going as well as the software and a computer is a really first class negative (and quite a bit of time practising.)
twa_dogs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by twa_dogs »

ta for the info. in that case hardware and software is not a problem (CS5), I'll just have to look up tutorials. Is it a selection, colour replace and layers based process?
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

The subject is currently topical. Members of the forum may be interested in the article in yesterday's Guardian. See http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign ... f-comments The comments indicate a high degree of polarisation in the opinions expressed. I'm working on a nice view of a 'Glen' on the West Highland which will be posted later this week. The proof of every pudding....................
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

Colour transparency or coloured monochrome?

On one of Glen Loy's last outings over the West Highland line this view was taken at Ardlui with b/w rollfilm.

Lack of shadows shows it to be a dull day but at that time colour photography was well established and the scene could have been recorded on colour film. Would it have looked much different? Black engines lend themselves well to digitally coloured scenes such as this, especially if lining is present and visible. As always, for good results a superbly sharp negative is essential.
Attachments
62496 WHR '59.jpg
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

I think they look great - keep up the good work. I look forward to viewing many more.

Woodcock29
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Some of the pictures are in a Calendar free in a current magazine. I think it was Steam Days.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

62496 does look very good. The only thing that lets it down for me, is the lack of colour on the hills behind the trees. A mauve/green heather combination would be realistic.

(Oh dear, this is really bringing out the photo background pedant in me)
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by v3man »

I would never have known this was originally a B&W picture and to me it looks good. We could always argue about a tint of this or that here and there but none of us would probably come up with the same answer! It looks good and brought back happy memories of exNB engines to me!