York station - semaphore signalling

This forum is for the discussion of the infrastructure of the LNER and its constituent companies. Topics include signalling, signal boxes, track layout, bridges, stations, etc.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER N2 0-6-2T

York station - semaphore signalling

Post by 60048 »

Does anyone have (or know off) a track or signalling plan(s) showing the York station area (Holgate Sidings to Scarborough Bridge/Skelton Junction) prior to the introduction of colour light signalling in the late 1930s (1938?). Failing that, any details of the semaphore boxes in the above area for the same time period would also be welcome.

Details on York Yard North box, and the 1938 power box within the station area, are quite widely available, but there seems to be little information in books or on the web about the two station boxes - one was located at the south end between Holgate Junction and the platforms, the other was in the 'v' between the ECML and the Scarborough line at the north end of the station. Again, anything would be welcome.

Richie
Rich

Interested in all LNER (the original, not modern one!) pre-grouping, pre-Nationalisation and under BR)
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: York station - semaphore signalling

Post by 60048 »

Just to add to the above, I am not sure of the name of the south end signal box on what was the 'Down' side of the formation, but at the North end, a photograph has come up in one of my searches this evening that I haven't come across before. It quite clearly shows two boxes at the north end. One on the 'Up' side called 'Waterworks' and positioned as previously described in the 'V', while the other box on the 'Down side' is between the main lines serving the through lines and the slow/shed lines which is clearly named 'Leeman Road'. All three appear to be North Eastern designs.

Rich
Rich

Interested in all LNER (the original, not modern one!) pre-grouping, pre-Nationalisation and under BR)
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Just south of the station, it was York Locomotive Yard box Richie, reputedly the mechanical box containing the longest single-row lever frame ever installed in the UK at a length capable of accommodating 295 levers.
In the middle of the station (closest to the current platform 3), the structure which was a Costa coffee shop upstairs (off the footbridge) and WHSmith at platform level the last time I saw it, had been a box named, I believe, York Platform.
I know of no power box for the station in 1938, but the later one which lasted until the late '80s/early '90s, and apparently designed just pre-war, I'm sure I've read, was not brought into operation until 1951.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60048 »

Hi Stevie,
That’s useful, thanks. Ive been struggling to work out where the small box above what is now WH Smith’s fitted into things.

In connection with finding that photograph last night, I have also discovered a new book out by the NER Association on York signalling, which I have purchased, so hopefully that will give some answers.

Richie
Rich

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

'A History of North Eastern Railway Signalling' edited by Neil Mackay and published by NERA.
Pages 194 to 197, have signalling diagrams for York from the 1902 McKenzie and Holland catalogue.

Excellent and fascinating book, highly recommended.
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60048 »

That’s great, I’ll try and find that! Thank you

EDIT: Acquired!
Rich

tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tomburnham »

The North Eastern Railway Association have recently published a book that specifically covers the signalling in York.

"Signalling Centres in the North-East : No 1 YORK"
https://ner.org.uk/product/signalling-c ... no-1-york/

Tom.
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60048 »

Thanks Tom,
Yes I have just acquired that as well - hoping it might be here the next day or two!

Might have to join the NERA at this rate!!

Richie
Rich

penrithbeacon
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by penrithbeacon »

David Mylchreest
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

This is an excellent book with lots of info on York signalling.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255085514107 ... SwKExhEUrz