New Barnet Sidings

This forum is for the discussion of the infrastructure of the LNER and its constituent companies. Topics include signalling, signal boxes, track layout, bridges, stations, etc.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

TX3
NER Y7 0-4-0T

New Barnet Sidings

Post by TX3 »

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if there was anyone that knows of a pic of the siding at New Barnet south on the up side. Like many places it is now gone and tree lined where there were no trees at all in the early 1970's. It's where I used to sit and watch the trains go past in my tea break in a mind numbingly boring job that inspired me to get a job on the footplate. Occasionally, a trip freight with a Paxman type one in charge would drop off or pick up there. Now fifty years on I am compiling a book about my fun times on the railway. I worked on the GN, the Highland Railway and the Southern Central Section most of which dished up some amusing stories. Thanks for your interest.
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: New Barnet Sidings

Post by Dave Cockle »

There is a photo on page 174 of Peter Coster's book of The Great Northern showing part of New Barnet's South Sidings.
Mickey
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Mickey »

About 300 yards further to the south of where you mentioned you was was Oakleigh Park Up goods yard & sidings until about 1970 which was controlled by Oakleigh Park s/box which was closed in the autumn of 1970 along with New Barnet South Box at the same time. From memory this Up goods yard & sidings just north of Oakleigh Park station had around 7-8 roads although they weren't to long in length with some of the roads tending to be laid in a curve shape. From memory I recall seeing these Up sidings at the end of there life around 1968-1970 holding occasional trains of huge concrete tunnel lining rings on flat bogie bolster wagons destined for the then new Victoria line of London Underground that was then under construction.

Below a copyrighted photograph of a A3 on a Up express just about to pass through Oakleigh Park station showing the empty Oakleigh Park Up goods yard & sidings behind the express. This Up goods yard & sidings were eventually closed around 1970 and were lifted with the waste ground eventually being transformed into a modern housing estate during the later 1970s.-

https://railphotoprints.uk/img/s/v-10/p2914768574-4.jpg
Last edited by Mickey on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Oakleigh Pk goods yard also used to be a loading point for Vauxhall cars.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

manna wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:03 pm Oakleigh Pk goods yard also used to be a loading point for Vauxhall cars.
Yeah you are right manna I recall seeing the occasional trains of Vauxhall 'cartics' around 1968-1969 in the old Oakleigh Park goods yard.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Mickey

Weren't they the cars/vans for Export !

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

manna wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:13 am Weren't they the cars/vans for Export !
They may well have been manna but I don't honestly know but I do vaguely recall seeing those Vauxhall 'cartics' in Oakleigh Park goods yard around 1968-1969.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Back at New Barnet...

I believe I recall seeing the occasional blue livered 'block ender' set (non-corridor inner suburban slam door coaches) stabled on the Up side opposite New Barnet station back in the early 1970s and also I seem to recall one or two 'block ender sets' stabled in the Down side sidings to the south of New Barnet station as well also in the early 1970s.