Double Block Working For Gresley's Streamliners.

This forum is for the discussion of the infrastructure of the LNER and its constituent companies. Topics include signalling, signal boxes, track layout, bridges, stations, etc.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Double Block Working For Gresley's Streamliners.

Post by Dave Cockle »

I believe the LNER streamlined trains operated under double-block working on the ECML. Does anybody know If this was for the entire route or just certain sections? If certain sections which ones?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Double Block Working For Gresley's Streamliners.

Post by jwealleans »

This came up on another group of which I am a member and although it's often stated (and generally accepted as fact) we found that there was not much hard evidence or detail still available. I'd also be interested to see what anyone else can point to.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

I wasn't aware of this practice so double-block working was instituted for such trains then Dave.

Would double-block working have been thought necessary with the A4 streamliners due to them running at higher speeds than 'normal trains' on the railway when you consider that back in the 1930s virtually all signal boxes had semaphore distant signals on the fast lines as well as the adjoining slow or goods lines which by virtual of them being worked by 'signal wire' would mean the semaphore distant signal would be nearer to it's home signal than it would be if it was a colour light distant signal and positioned further back from it's home signal which would be tied in with the trains 'braking distance' on a fast moving train like a A4 hauled streamliner?.

The above is just an assumption on my part I just thought about it and wondered if that mite be a possible reason?.
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Dave Cockle wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:12 am I believe the LNER streamlined trains operated under double-block working on the ECML. Does anybody know If this was for the entire route or just certain sections? If certain sections which ones?
I have seen this referred to 'en passant' in a Gresley Observer article by John Clay, (nothing further in the way of detail, and no specific location information thus implying it applied to the whole route) as an aspect of the LNER's streamliner operation 'disliked by some railway officers'.
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

Some previous discussion of this subject at https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... 79&p=87530. I continue to hope that, tucked away in some obscure repository, further documented details are still waiting to be unearthed.