Books on GCR Signalling?

This forum is for the discussion of the infrastructure of the LNER and its constituent companies. Topics include signalling, signal boxes, track layout, bridges, stations, etc.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GWRSwindon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Books on GCR Signalling?

Post by GWRSwindon »

At the moment, I'm looking for books on Great Central signalling and signal boxes. The GCR Society's bibliography mentions A Pictorial Record of LNER Consituent Signalling, which looks good, as does Great Central Signalman, but I'm naturally looking for others as well.
William Thorpe
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Books on GCR Signalling?

Post by William Thorpe »

Apart from Dow's 3 vol history which carries some useful material and drawings, especially in vol 2 and 3, I don't know of any other specific books. There may be some contemporary articles in the Great Central Railway Journal, which was published and issued by the GCR in the first part of the 20thC. The GCRS archive has a set of these journals but sadly access is not currently available, I believe. It might also be worth an enquiry on the GCR society website and also the GCRS Facebook page as there are some knowledgeable people out there that might have more information.

best of luck
Dave
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Books on GCR Signalling?

Post by John Palmer »

Browsing books on another sub ject, I happened across "Signalling and Signal Boxes along the GCR Routes" by Allen Jackson at https://www.booklaw.co.uk/damaged/marks ... outes.html. No idea of the quality of this work (part of a series), but may be worth a look.