1923 door frames

This forum is for the discussion of the infrastructure of the LNER and its constituent companies. Topics include signalling, signal boxes, track layout, bridges, stations, etc.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Cutter
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

1923 door frames

Post by Cutter »

I have a question about the 1923 painting standards for buildings. The transcription I have says station building doors and door and window frames dark brown..
Is this correct--dark brown door frames? I was expecting to see cream door frames to contrast with the dark brown doors. Window sashes were cream to contrast with dark brown frames.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: 1923 door frames

Post by PinzaC55 »

Yes , they were brown. I explored all NER disused stations in the 1970s and some had escaped being repainted in the 1937 green and cream colours and BR blue On the colour photo of Westgate In Weardale station here in 1969 the nearest door is all brown including the frame. The LNER used to issue detailed painting specification handbooks for branch lines detailing what needed to be done at each station and I used to have one of the handbooks but sold it years ago.

http://disused-stations.org.uk/w/westgate/index.shtml
Cutter
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Cutter »

A wonderful response, thank you. Both door and frame being brown didn't sound likely to me and I had to check.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Door frames and window frames Light Brown in 1923, changed to Dark Brown from 1930, and Deep Brunswick Green from 1937.

Surprisingly, the finishing colour for doors was not specified until 1937, when it became Deep Brunswick Green for stiles and rails (i.e. the framing), and Light Brunswick Green for the panels.

Window sashes were Light Stone in 1923, Deep Cream from 1930, and either Light Stone or Deep Cream from 1937.

The 1915 GNR specification had dark oak finish for the frames and light oak for the doors, combed and varnished in both cases to resemble natural timber graining.

Where did your 1923 transcription come from, as they may have varied between the old company Areas? The (Civil) Engineer was Area or Section based although by the mid-1930s they were all collaborating on such matters.

I'm interested in learning more about the branch line painting handbooks mentioned by PinzaC55...
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

The LNER painting schedule was a fairly rare bird and think I only saw 3 of them at the Malton auction where I bought mine. It was A4 sized in dark orange card covers and seemed to be aimed at contractors as it specified how things like the toilet urinals had to be cleaned and sanded before painting and what grades of paint should be used. Internally it mentioned the brown and cream paint and the thickness of the black line separating the two. As far as I recall it mentioned other outdoor structures too. I'm pretty sure the Public Record Office at Kew will have one. This photo of Whittingham station shows the window frames inside - since the Wooler branch closed to passengers in 1930 it didn't get repainted and I think Bendor Crossing signalbox was still in its LNER paint in the late 90s !

http://disused-stations.org.uk/w/whitti ... ex14.shtml
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Ah Pinza, from your description I though you were describing a generic document that gave details of the painting schemes for all the buildings and structures on a branch line.
What you now describe was a tender document, or the specification part of one, for contractors to price up and submit their costs to be considered for the work. I have a number of these from differing periods and locations, including specials for goods sheds and for maritime buildings at a port.