SNG having a bite at the Highwayman Cafe?

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

The speed record plate says 'Postwar Speed Record Holder 112mph Gained 23rd May 1959' which means that its mearly 48 years since SNG gained that record.

Regards

Karl
Last edited by karlrestall on Wed May 16, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYMR Guard
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

SNG also has the preservation speed record. Or the official one, anyway :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

richard wrote:SNG also has the preservation speed record. Or the official one, anyway :-)

Richard
Does it? What speed did it reach?
ImageImage
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

was it;

The Society decided that the locomotive should be restored in the Garter Blue livery in which it was painted originally, bearing its LNER number 4498 and with modifications that had been made over the years to improve the performance of A4s. On 1st April 1967, the 'Inaugural Run' special train organised by the A4 Locomotive Society Ltd and the first train worked by 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley in the private ownership of the Society, ran from Crewe to Carlisle going over Shap and the return via Ais Gill and Blackburn. Near Weaver Junction, 16 miles from the start out of Crewe, 4498 reached a top speed of 92 mph with a remarkable performance for a loco so new out of shops. The Society officers had been told at Crewe that the loco was good for 110 mph after the overhaul had been done!

Interesting he didn't name his A4!

A naming ceremony had taken place on 16th November at Marylebone station. The nameplates were unveiled by William Whitelaw, the Chairman of the LNER, who also presented Sir Nigel Gresley with a miniature silver replica of the locomotive to commemorate the occasion.
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

One does not name the engine honouring one! (unless you're a monarch?)

I've tried to look up the preservation claim. I thought I saw it in Mannion's "Streaks". This describes the 1967 96mph run but doesn't explicitly claim this as a record.

Note that steam engines had a speed limit imposed when they were allowed back on BR rails in 1972, so all legal claims are going to be from the late 1960s.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

richard wrote:
Note that steam engines had a speed limit imposed when they were allowed back on BR rails in 1972, so all legal claims are going to be from the late 1960s.

Richard
They still do have a restricted speed limit of 75mph don't they :?: or has this limit been relaxed or tightened up?

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes - that is why any later claim would be unofficial or illegal.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Or both. Personally I think that if the loco can manage higher speeds, safely, then I see no problem in limiting the loco to 75mph, especially on the mainline where the train is likely to hold up normal service trains.

Just my 2 Pennys worth.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard