A1 Steam Trust contemplate their next loco

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

A1 Steam Trust contemplate their next loco

Post by Trestrol »

This doesn't seem to have made it on to here yet. The A1SLT are looking to start design work of their next loco after the P2. Apparently most of the design work is now done on the P2 so to keep them busy they will start on the next loco design work. Proposed are either a K3,a V4 or a V3. Personnel choice would be the V3. There is an article in the new edition of Heritage Railway.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: A1 Steam Trust contemplate their next loco

Post by Mercator II »

Strange to hear, there is loads still to do for both Tornado & PoW, would love to know how you think the trust has time to start development work on a third loco when fund raising to buy Tornado's tender, sign up conventors for both locos, finalise plans for PoW and get all the legal stuff

Then the construction of PoW which will take time to build

So yes, at some point I am sure the Trust will want to build a third/forth but not yet an itch in Marks side yet

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I've read the article in The Railway Magazine today and I am surprised if it is true, but TRM isn't normally (in my view anyway) known for exaggeration.
Flying Fox 34F
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Flying Fox 34F »

I have seen the headlines. The V3 would be the most likely. I presume that the group wants to keep up the design momentum. No problem with that. In fact another group could take it on once the drawings are finalised
Paul 4475
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

fantastic, all this talk of new loco's even 'Lall Rattys got a new steamer planned.

mr B
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Indeed interesting news. Though as ever having seen the Heritage Railways article I take'em with a pinch of salt. In this case it's only a smaller pinch as the A1ST have now proven themselves, unlike so many others who pop up and equally quickly disappearing leaving a "Facebook" or web site that fades. Must admit I was somewhat sceptical back in 1990 when the idea of a 50th A1 being built.....

Interesting that they've decided on one of a trio of "smaller/lighter" LNER designs. The one I'd pick is the V4 Gresleys last steam designs. Here's an interesting thought, bearing in mind that the 2 V4's were "prototype" machines and Gresley had ordered a further 10 "production" machines that were cancelled by Thompson and replaced with his first 10 B1s'. So if that hadn't/didn't happen would the A1 boys use the number of the first B1 8300[?]/1000 Springbok?
Last edited by 2392 on Tue May 13, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Would love to see a K3 myself.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

Perhaps commonality of castings is influencing the choice.

Sawdust.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I thought the TRM article only mentioned K3 and V1/V3. The only place I've seen a V4 mentioned is in the latest Gresley Observer where there's an article from someone making the case for a V4 new-build.

Also, remember the A1LST guys talked unofficially about a P2 for many years until Tornado was running and the proper research & computer modelling on a P2 was started...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

richard wrote:I thought the TRM article only mentioned K3 and V1/V3. The only place I've seen a V4 mentioned is in the latest Gresley Observer where there's an article from someone making the case for a V4 new-build.

Also, remember the A1LST guys talked unofficially about a P2 for many years until Tornado was running and the proper research & computer modelling on a P2 was started...
Exactly the P2 was just "talk" whilst Tornado was abuilding. So this would appear to be a bit of more public pondering on behalf of the A1LST even if only over a pint or two at the bar...... and why not indeed! As without a "Dream" or two you might as well give up here and now.
Last edited by 2392 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Can I suggest the thought process is more practical?

How many boilers does one need to keep two locos on the road, three probably?

More possibly. Four boilers, another loco? They must all have the same basic boiler design.

John
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

Hows this for a curved ball. they are also looking into having their own main line coaching set. made up of LNER coaches modified to mainline standards and have already acquired one coach.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

TRESTROL.

You have your ear to the ground!

John
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Mainline teak.........mmmmmmmmmmmm :D
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

TRESTROL wrote:Hows this for a curved ball. they are also looking into having their own main line coaching set. made up of LNER coaches modified to mainline standards and have already acquired one coach.
Really? What coach?

That's not what I was told, that featured new build.....

Sawdust.