Sunderland South Dock branch to reopen

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Sunderland South Dock branch to reopen

Post by PinzaC55 »

Just been announced that the Sunderland South Dock branch will reopen next year :D

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/business/bu ... il-7864130
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Sunderland South Dock branch to reopen

Post by 2392 »

PinzaC55 wrote:Just been announced that the Sunderland South Dock branch will reopen next year :D

And hopefully with a shed full of J27s :shock: :lol: :roll: !
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

2392 wrote:
PinzaC55 wrote:Just been announced that the Sunderland South Dock branch will reopen next year :D

Well the sole surviving J27 is a former South Dock engine - how about the first train over the reopened line being hauled by her ?
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

PinzaC55 wrote:
2392 wrote:

Well the sole surviving J27 is a former South Dock engine - how about the first train over the reopened line being hauled by her ?
Yes indeed and you my have noticed my user name 2392. The afore mentioned sole surviving J27/P3 and I also happen to be a life member of the North Eastern Locomotive Presevation Group the owners......
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Well drop a few words in a few shell likes :wink:
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

2392 wrote: Yes indeed and you my have noticed my user name 2392. The afore mentioned sole surviving J27/P3 and I also happen to be a life member of the North Eastern Locomotive Presevation Group the owners......
Post_01.JPG
A bit battered looking, and I must do some more work on it! It does feature the first 'preserved' livery, but does not show any evidence of the vacuum ejector, or indeed any brakes of any kind! I'm quite fond of the model as it was the first one I 'kitbashed/semi-scratchbuilt using a small drawing in one of the early NELPG publications. It matches up fairly well to the Isinglass drawing I obtained subsequently.

Please can we have the 12"-to-the-foot one back in this livery, (I know it was a post-grouping engine), or at least can it have 'NER' on the tender even if prefixed by an 'L' !
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

I hadn't even realised this branch was shut. I was talking to a N.R colleague of mine today about it and he hadn't heard and he works for the S&T. I wonder what flow is expected. The line to Blyth Docks has just been resignalled to allow two trains in at once. This is for Biomass traffic and for the Flyash that is coming in to build the ski slope at Widdrington.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

TRESTROL wrote:I hadn't even realised this branch was shut. I was talking to a N.R colleague of mine today about it and he hadn't heard and he works for the S&T. I wonder what flow is expected. The line to Blyth Docks has just been resignalled to allow two trains in at once. This is for Biomass traffic and for the Flyash that is coming in to build the ski slope at Widdrington.
To be honest I hadn't realised either that the branch had been shut. Granted I'd noticed last time I was past on train, the rails were decidedly rusty. Almost black rusty.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

TRESTROL wrote:I hadn't even realised this branch was shut. I was talking to a N.R colleague of mine today about it and he hadn't heard and he works for the S&T. I wonder what flow is expected. The line to Blyth Docks has just been resignalled to allow two trains in at once. This is for Biomass traffic and for the Flyash that is coming in to build the ski slope at Widdrington.
Network Rail must be a bit out of touch then ? :shock:
I've heard that the biomass flow is one possibility but in any case as one person pointed out, fort the Port must have some traffic in mind if they plan to spend that kind of money. I can't help wondering if it may be something to do with the upcoming Potash mine at Whitby ? This is all speculation of course.
limitofshunt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by limitofshunt »

TRESTROL wrote:I hadn't even realised this branch was shut.
It's been OOU for some time, but was only removed from the Sectional Appendix halfway through 2014, despite the tracks not being physically useable for some time.

TRESTROL wrote: ... and for the Flyash that is coming in to build the ski slope at Widdrington.
Ironic that Blyth used to be a major exporter of flyash! I wonder how many tons is still at the bottom of the North Sea...?!
Si.
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Si. »

I didn't realise the North Blyth spur had been re signalled. What changes have been made? Or has a system been arranged to allow one train into Battleship Wharf, and another to the Alumina ship unloading facilty? A 'one engine in steam' type arrangement.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Not sure exactly what was done but the alterations were done at Freemans Box. All i know is now they can have two trains in there at one time.
limitofshunt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by limitofshunt »

The colour light signals along the branch have been removed and replaced with a series of stop boards acting as stop and distant signals. There is a Heppers release in the signal box which releases the key for the ground frame to Battleship Wharf as well as a new derailed on the North Blyth branch on the approach to Alcan's Ship Unloading Facility. These changes mean that there can be a train in Alcan as well as one in Battleship Wharf, which gets round the previous layout's problem of these two facilities being mutually exclusive in operation. There is a single line token which has an exchange platform outside Freemans signal box.

The latest photos in these albums show the new signals and layout changes - scroll to the end of the albums to see them:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjzzag3z
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjzzaed2

Jonathon
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I just read that Ryhope Grange box is slated for closure next year with control passing to York. If that's still going to happen it would explain the reopening as changes to the interlocking would make it difficult to reopen after closure of the box.