4 A4s at York!

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

4 A4s at York!

Post by Tom Quayle »

It has been put forward to get all 4 UK A4s to york in the coming year. The 4 being 4468 mallard, 60007 sir nigal gresley, 60009 uninon of south africa and of course bittern. finally we can top the 3 from years ago. Another plan is to get bittern and number 9 on the Aberbeen to Glasgow run agian to relive the indian summer it all depends on turning facilities.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

A Great Sight

Post by x568wcn »

It'll be a great sight to see, just the problems of putting Bittern and Gresley back together, getting Mallard back out of the Museum (no easy she's as far in a possible!) and the fact that South Africa came to York 2 weeks running, and first time she got in the wrong lane and was 1 1/2 hours late, next week she didn't turn up at all, so came the next week over an hour late..never mind they might get all 4 together, as I can recall only seeing 2 in real life, although Gresley is just up the road!

Pity only the one is in LNER livery, but then it does mean that in BR numbers we have 7, 8, 9 & 10 all preserved, nowhere is there a more complete sequence of presvered engines!

Mark t
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

I am envious. I have never seen an A4 in real life. I did see an A3 when "Flying Scotsman" came to Australia in the late 80's. Well I recall the lump in my throat when I saw two Victorian 'R' class (broad gauge) locos and the Scotsman steaming together side-by-side north of Melbourne on the mainline.

I truly look forward to visiting York, maybe late summer 2006. Here's hoping!
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Never?

Post by x568wcn »

When I go in to the railway museum, I go through the City Entrance at the Goods Shed side, and under the road, I then go straight to the work shop, and don't give the Mallard a second glance, but when you've seen something a million times, think I even recall Mallard Steaming, although I would have only been about 6,7 or 8 at the time. But Union of South Africa looked beutiful mid december here in York.

Arent you in Canada, you have the Dominion of Canada over there, is it nearer than coming over here?

Mark t
Attachments
031205-1317-1-small.JPG
Union of South Africa 03/12/2005 plaform 10 at York Station
(41.37 KiB) Downloaded 867 times
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

Maybe she is closer, about 6 or 7 hour drive. But I have heard she is in sad condition.

My daughter loves Mallard and other English trains, I love England, I just can't afford to live there. I also want to go and see the area I want to model.

Add to that the fact that I need to do some work in Londond and Oxford on some professional matters - hey - why not go to England!

John
Matt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: A Great Sight

Post by Matt »

x568wcn wrote:and the fact that South Africa came to York 2 weeks running, and first time she got in the wrong lane and was 1 1/2 hours late, next week she didn't turn up at all, so came the next week over an hour late..
What you have to remember is that the A4 performed faultessly pretty much each week that it did a trip to York. If it wasn't for "Every W*nker Succeeds" trying to run a railtour, you may well have seen no 9 on time.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Ooh get you

Post by x568wcn »

There was an Aberdeen bound GNER behind it, and they were anouncing it's lateness, and blaming a preceeding Steam Engine with mechanical Problems, although it didn't have any what so ever, but it was carrying more people in More coaches than the GNER!

Mark t
guard_jamie
NER Y7 0-4-0T

'Never seen an A4 in real life'

Post by guard_jamie »

You're right Dominion of Canada is in pretty sad condition. I visited in the summer, and she's kept in what is basically a shed, still with her 1960-something coat of pain, and rust holes in a few places. However, a bunch of Brit ex-pats recently did the LBSCR Terrier over there, Waddon up, and they may be doing her next!

Jamie