one step closer

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

one step closer

Post by 52D »

First test train on the Waverley https://vimeo.com/127574766
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: one step closer

Post by Bill Bedford »

What is the line speed for the Waverley?

There seems to be a substantial cant on some of the curves.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Not sure Bill but I did notice the cant myself.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

The Network Rail Sectional Appendix hasn't been updated yet - last batch of updates 07 Mar 2015.

The Waverley route still ends in Millerhill yard.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Great to see. Sobering thought to think that Cl.37 might have run on the original route in its first years of service!
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

About half way through you see the train go through a single track tunnel/bridge. Was that built for the new line ? If so it seems a tad short sighted.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The route is a mix of single and double track sections Pinza.
4479 the D67xx and D68xx were not used to any great extent on the route as the early diesels in use included Peaks, EE Type 4s, Brush type 4s and smaller classes such as BRCW and NBL types as well as the Claytons.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

PinzaC55 wrote:About half way through you see the train go through a single track tunnel/bridge. Was that built for the new line ? If so it seems a tad short sighted.
Many major structures on the line are only single track and I agree that it is very short sighted and false economy. The penny pinching is evident along the whole line. Galashiels is typical: single platform station wedged between two single track bridges / tunnels with no facilities at all - not even a dedicated car park.
There are already calls for the line to be extended south to at least Hawick and possibly (eventually) all the way to Carlisle and it is being said that the long single track sections on the present section will seriously impede traffic growth and limit line capacity to such an extent that it may affect the viability of any future extension. It has already been acknowledged that freight trains will never run on the line as built.
It was a bold and adventurous step to reopen the line and it will do wonders for the economy of the borders, but it is a terrible shame that the line has been compromised by the accountants
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

Only on the basis of letters appearing in the Scotsman online, with all the reservations that may be attached; although the new road bridges may only have single line clearance for rail, the majority, it has been alleged, are built for dual carriageway roads regardless of whether the approaches are single or dual carriageway. Saddling the railways with costs that should be borne by its competitor once again
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

60041 wrote:
PinzaC55 wrote:About half way through you see the train go through a single track tunnel/bridge. Was that built for the new line ? If so it seems a tad short sighted.
Many major structures on the line are only single track and I agree that it is very short sighted and false economy. The penny pinching is evident along the whole line. Galashiels is typical: single platform station wedged between two single track bridges / tunnels with no facilities at all - not even a dedicated car park.
There are already calls for the line to be extended south to at least Hawick and possibly (eventually) all the way to Carlisle and it is being said that the long single track sections on the present section will seriously impede traffic growth and limit line capacity to such an extent that it may affect the viability of any future extension. It has already been acknowledged that freight trains will never run on the line as built.
It was a bold and adventurous step to reopen the line and it will do wonders for the economy of the borders, but it is a terrible shame that the line has been compromised by the accountants
Bizarre ! I wonder who was responsible for that side of things ? When I used to volunteer for Peak Rail and we had a real retired Bridge Engineer there and I think I am quoting him correctly when he said "On a bridge the abutments are 80% of the cost". Since the abutments are the same for a single or double track overbridge you wouldn't think they have saved much.
Edit* I just looked up photos of Stow station and found this interesting article http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/ ... -1-3754627
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Bill Bedford wrote:What is the line speed for the Waverley?

There seems to be a substantial cant on some of the curves.
Asked the question elsewhere and a reply I got was that it is generally designed for 90mph.
That would explain the high cant value.