New Site 'Look'

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

New Site 'Look'

Post by richard »

The "new look" for the site's static pages are moving forward. I now have two working demo pages online. Links are at the end of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10882

Let me know what you think (reply to the above thread). The pages are 'responsive' and should work on smartphones as well as large desktops such as this two-screened monstrosity that I'm typing this on!

I intend to start creating templates in about a week, and to start implementing it immediately afterwards.

Just a warning: There are a lot of pages to convert, so it might take a few weeks.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
MidlandExcursion
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: New Site 'Look'

Post by MidlandExcursion »

Personally, I pretty much always groan when, having got used to a site and how it works, it gets 'made over' - however trendy looking it becomes - and I have to relearn how to use it.

Same with this. But, since it is a ton of work, I'm sure you must have good reasons for implementing the change, and we'll all get used to it, so thanks and all the best.
Stirling O
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Stirling O »

Once again, change for the sake of it. I'm getting sick of it.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

This is just the static pages we're talking about (not the forums). In nearly 15 years, this is only the third 'new look'! The first was very 90s looking and had an almost fluorescent green look to it. That was replaced by the current darker blue.

The primary reason for the new changes are so that the static side of the site work much better on a wider range of devices such as smart phones and mini tablets. Mobile devices now take up over 50% of web traffic. The general design principles (known as "Responsive Web") should also adapt to new form factors - unlike older sites which might have a desktop version and a mobile version.

Most of my websites are going to receive similar changes. Being non-commercial, this site might seem lower priority, but it actually proves to be a good test case. It should be possible to apply what I've learnt over the past few weeks, quickly to my more commercial sites.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
limitofshunt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by limitofshunt »

Well for what it's worth I'm all for updates like this. I do the majority of my browsing on iPad and iPhone so responsive sites make a massive difference. It's the way everything is heading.

To those moaning, I have two observations. Firstly, don't whinge about something that you don't have to pay for. And secondly, if no websites updated then we'd be stuck with awful looking fixed resolution sites from the 90s and there'd never be progress.

Jonathon
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Personally speaking I think it looks very professional and fresh. Updates are necessary. My own blog is looking its age and isn't fit for purpose anymore - fact is more and more people are using phones and tablets therefore you have to change and adapt to that traffic. End of. Looks terrific Richard, may I add. Only three changes in 15 years though? You're about six or seven incarnations behind BRMweb then! :P
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Richard, I think you are wise looking at optimising the site for tablets and smart phones, more and more people browse away from their desks, so
it has value, also it shows that you are keeping up with modern methods which is valuable.

However, one point, how come your GNR Engineers do not mention Sturrock, or indeed Cubitt and Bury?
Can I help with that?

paul
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

That test page is a cobbling of bits from at least two other pages.

The engineers pages are for locomotives operated by the LNER - hence some oddities like Stanier and Riddles.

Perhaps the more appropriate place might be to put other engineers like Sturrock under the GNR section of the Constituent Companies?
We'd need a link from the LNER engineers section. Not sure how to word it, but "Earlier Engineers"?
Contact me by email/pm if you want to take this further...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia