"Scotsman Season"

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

"Scotsman Season"

Post by Rlangham »

Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: "Scotsman Season"

Post by Solario »

I've heard a whisper that it may be visiting the NYMR next Feb/March.

By the way, it's a bit sad when the official Scotsman website refers to -
free cab access to the most famous train in the world
West_Stanley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by West_Stanley »

Flying Scotsman - "the most famous 'train' (i.e. locomotive) in the world." Does anyone know why this is? Was this the case whilst she was in service with the LNER and later British Railways? Did Alan Pegler specifically want Scotsman, or would he have been just as happy with some other A3 in good mechanical condition? Alternatively, did Scotsman become famous and loved in preservation?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Alan Pegler wanted 4472 'Flying Scotsman' he was offered other 'Better' A3's but turned them down as he only wanted 4472, do you think he knew something. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

Having read quite a lot about operations at Top Shed it's interesting how many times they got asked to turn out Flying Scotsman
for a special event and how often they suggested an alternative as a better engine.

The first non-stop 10 o'clock down in 1928 is a case in point, 4472 was put on it even though the operating staff wanted to use another engine.
She stayed on it until the end of the week, probably as they more or less had to complete the diagrammed roster to avoid messing up the crews.
One of the others, I think it was Flying Fox, was substituted at the start of the next week and I don't think 4472 was back on it for that season.

Makes you wonder if despite it's fame it was a Friday afternoon job!

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

With locos stripped and rebuilt every couple of years, I've always wondered why engines were so different, 4472 being a case in point, when 2750 was a 'Good Un'.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.