Flying Scotsman naked

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Flying Scotsman naked

Post by Kestrel »

There is a double page spread in today's Daily Mail of Flying Scotsman without her coat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... racks.html

or just 'right click' and save the picture.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Flying Scotsman naked

Post by giner »

Ah, the old 'exploded' view. Remember when the 'Eagle' comic used to feature such an illustration every week in its centre spread? There'd be locomotives, cars, tanks, aircraft, all sorts.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

giner wrote:Ah, the old 'exploded' view. Remember when the 'Eagle' comic used to feature such an illustration every week in its centre spread? There'd be locomotives, cars, tanks, aircraft, all sorts.
I was going to say 'exploded view' but then thought that is what you get in a kit when the view is 'exploded', ie parts are shown separated.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Yep, if I recall correctly, Exploded View was the actual term that the Eagle used. I'm sure some members remember The Eagle.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Yes. The Eagle was recommended by my prep school in the 50s as it was deemed to be 'educational'.
harvester
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by harvester »

Always liked the Eagle, but thought it went a bit "down hill " when they moved the " exploded drawings " to the back page. I could be wrong from memory but I think the first loco to appear in the new format was a drawing of Mallard .
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

This Tuesday evening (22/3) on BBC4 at 8:00pm-8:30pm - 'THE RETURN OF FLYING SCOTSMAN'.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Christain Wolmar the railway journalist was speaking on BBC radio 4s 'Making History' programme today (22/03/16) saying that there wasn't anything particularly special about the locomotive Flying Scotsman it was just one locomotive out of a whole batch of locomotives in the same class and infact at the 1924 Locomotive Exchange trails with the G.W.R. a G.W.R. 4-6-0 Castle class loco Caerphilly Castle was proved to be the better of the two locomotives plus another G.W.R. loco the 4-4-0 City of Truro was the first steam locomotive to attain 100mph and when Flying Scotsman eventually did achieve 'the ton' she was soon eclipsed by another Gresley pacific locomotive Mallard doing 126mph!!.

Christain Wolmar basically puts the enduring popularity and appeal of Flying Scotsman down to the good job that the L.N.E.R. publicity department orignally done on the locomotive which has endured in the minds of the public down the decades.

Mickey
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Micky

I would have thought Christain would not have fallen into the City of Truro Trap. But everything else is spot on

Ron
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Leaving a side what Mr.Wolmar had to say about the loco Flying Scotsman when i first saw her flying Up & Down the GNR main line through Welwyn Garden City station in 1968-69 and travelled behind her to York on a school trip also in 1969 she ''blew my head off she was ruddy brilliant'' she was running as 4472 with her double-tender at that time with Mr.Pegler to be seen on the footplate. :wink:

Mickey