York Steam RIP 40 Years

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

York Steam RIP 40 Years

Post by x568wcn »

The Last Steam Engine Left York 40 Years ago, 31/12/1965
A report in the the Yorkshire Evening Press Tonight, morns the passing;

When steam evaporated
by Chris Titley

Men and boys clamber onto the footplate of the last steam train from York on New Year's Eve 1965 (Picture)

OUT with the old and in with the new. A familiar refrain around this time, and the words were never more apt than for York's railways 40 New Years ago.

On the first day of 1966, diesel finally conquered steam. The modern railway era had arrived.

The golden age did not pass unmourned. Crowds gathered at York Railway Station to see the final steam passenger train leave the city.

Joining the local rail buffs on platform 14 were people from Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool and Newcastle. The object of their affections - the A1 Pacific locomotive St Mungo, number 60145.

It had given loyal service to British Railways. According to the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, these engines were known as Peppercorns as they were designed by the London & North Eastern Railway when the chief mechanical engineer was Arthur H Peppercorn.

The class was the last in a line of famous express steam locomotives which ran along the East Coast Main Line. Others included the Pacifics of Sir Nigel Gresley.

The original 49 Peppercorn class A1s were ordered by the LNER and built at Darlington and Doncaster. But by the time they entered service in 1948, the company had been banished by nationalisation. The engines wore British Railways livery instead.

"As designed, they were ideally suited for the post-war world of low maintenance and heavy trains, with their 50 sq ft grate allowing them to use lower grade coal than their predecessors," notes the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust.

"Five were equipped with roller bearings enabling them to achieve an average of 118,000 miles between heavy repairs, making the A1s, in the opinion of many, the most economical to run of all British steam locomotives of the same power classification and the most reliable of all of the express passenger steam locomotives owned by British Railways."

Diesel technology was brought in rapidly during the Sixties. As a result all 49 Peppercorns were scrapped between 1962 and 1966 after an average life of only 15 years.

By December 31, 1965, St Mungo was one of the last three steam engines on the East Coast Main Line. And they were all retired that night.

The first Evening Press of 1966 took up the story. "The train, scheduled to leave for Newcastle at 6.30, and return to York later in the evening, was a New Year's Eve relief.

The A1 Pacific class loco 60145 St Mungo pulls away from the coaling stage on one of its final journeys (Picture)

"The train-spotters' suggestion it should be hauled by the retiring loco met with BR approval."

In the event, the train set off 20 minutes late. It was held to await the arrival - by diesel - of more rail enthusiasts. "The proud Pacific emitted a continual and earsplitting hiss as boys of all ages clambered into the driver's cab," the Press reported.

Some of those gathered for the historic moment wore black ties to show their sorrow at steam's passing.

But there was also a festive air. Rail fans climbed on the front of the engine to deck it with flags. Others clambered onto the footplate, barely leaving room for the driver and fireman.

The St Mungo nameplate had already been removed and instead it boasted the name The Norseman.

While rail aficionados were gloomy about the locos being pensioned off, the mood was different among the workers. They were much more pragmatic. "We're glad to see it go," said the crew - driver Harry Vincent, 42 years a railwayman, fireman Ron Fenwick and guard Ted Smith, all from York.

Diesel engines, they said, were more comfortable.

And with that, it was finally time to go. After a brief loudspeaker announcement and with a shush of steam, the train set off on.

"A girl with a tape recorder tuned into the engine's parting whistle, blown triumphantly the length of the platform by enthusiast John Arnott Brown, a Newcastle representative, who rode the footplate dressed in British Railways overalls," the Press recorded.

"As it pulled out, the engine endearingly belched out a cloud of steam which enveloped fans on the platform."

It was hauling eight coaches, which left plenty of room for the 200 or so passengers.

Rail buff John Arnott Brown places a Union flag on the front of the locomotive before it left York for the last time (Picture)

"What will happen to the 157-ton St Mungo, built at Doncaster in 1948, and its two sister locos?" asked the paper. "A BR spokesman said they would not be scrapped yet. They might be used as relief engines in case of diesel failure."

The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust completes the story. "There was an attempt to save the last, 60145 Saint Mungo, but this unfortunately failed and it too was withdrawn in June 1966 and scrapped in September of the same year."

If that news were not bad enough for rail enthusiasts, they faced another blow the same week. The refreshment rooms at York Railway Station increased their prices. A cup of tea went up from six old pence to 7d, and coffee was hiked even higher.

And the public were none too impressed. "There's been a good measure of sarcasm," said Mrs Freda Turner, 35, who worked at the café.

"People must have a dig at British Railways. It's an old music hall joke.

"They think nothing of paying 2s 5d for a whisky, and yet they quibble about a penny on a cup of tea."

Updated: 10:11 Monday, January 02, 2006
Attachments
Rail buff John Arnott Brown places a Union flag on the front of the locomotive before it left York for the last time
Rail buff John Arnott Brown places a Union flag on the front of the locomotive before it left York for the last time
l_york_factfile_historyfeatures381c_020106.jpg (8.01 KiB) Viewed 16312 times
The A1 Pacific class loco 60145 St Mungo pulls away from the coaling stage on one of its final journeys
The A1 Pacific class loco 60145 St Mungo pulls away from the coaling stage on one of its final journeys
l_york_factfile_historyfeatures381b_020106.jpg (7.26 KiB) Viewed 16291 times
Men and boys clamber onto the footplate of the last steam train from York on New Year's Eve 1965
Men and boys clamber onto the footplate of the last steam train from York on New Year's Eve 1965
l_york_factfile_historyfeatures381_020106.jpg (5.85 KiB) Viewed 16282 times
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I like the one with the coaling plant :-)

It won't be long before a Peppercorn A1 returns to York...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
S.A.C. Martin

Re: York Steam RIP 40 Years

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just found this - great pics, particularly the coaling tower one.

Is there a closeup pic somewhere of the plate which read "The Norseman" anywhere? I think this would be a great little cameo to model and I'm already halfway there - 60145 is one of the models in my 00 collection.

It appears in the top pic as a plain plate as far as I can see - standard LNER shape with white background? Or cream?
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

I seem to remember the Norseman board as having a pale blue background. they also had a viking longboat in full sail either side.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

9F 92099 carried the Norseman headboard on the last day of steam on the Alnwick branch.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Just copied this regarding the Norseman headboard.

You can obtain a headboard here :-
http://247developments.co.uk/headboards.html
Attachments
NORESMAN.JPG
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thanks for all the above - but the headboard depicted seems to be very plain by comparison! Is there something I am missing as there seems to be an inference above, that the nameplates, which were removed on the deflectors, carried "the norseman" nameplates on each side...?

Either way, that description above of the plate is supremely helpful, thank you! :D
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

I remember this express very well from my spotting days at Newcastle Central in the 50s & 60s.
The headboard was carried on the smokebox front as shown in the pic, at Gateshead sheds the boards were lined up against the workshop wall just where the locomotives exited the shed to pass through Gateshead station or go onto the triangle to turn around as Gateshead didnt have a turntable big enough. I remember the headboard as having a light blue background with with Viking longboats either side with the full sails in red & white stripes.
The coaches intended for the boat where taken to the quayside at North Shields by a V3 usually.
Maybe 52A can clarify this ?.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Yes quite correct, usually a V3 then in later days the diesels took over, I have been down there with most types, including a Deltic!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I thought the use of the V3 was due to route availability can you clarify?.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Remember going out to Ricknall, north of Aycliffe 31/12/65 to see 60145 thunder past in the darkness. Some very fast running and high speeds achieved, particularly on the southbound trip, until signal checks intervened. The late John Arnott- Brown -mentioned in the article - had quite a lot to do with the setting up of the trip by the North Eastern Region as a memorial to the end of main line steam and may have owned the 'Norseman' headboard mentioned on the night. That looks like him standing on the buffer beam of 60145.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

52D wrote:I thought the use of the V3 was due to route availability can you clarify?.
Alas I cannot remember the RA of the branch but the diesels with the highest RA (7) were the 45/6s and they went down. The only thing I can remember was that double heading was not allowed, assistant engines must be attached to the rear. Perhaps there was a restriction because of curvature. I know it was a bloody awful job and everyone tried to avoid being lumbered with it!
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Seen 45/46s on it but never seen a 31 or 40. They were Fred Olsen ferries in those days, the Blenheim, Braemar and Jupiter were a beautiful ships.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/FredOlsenNor ... anchor2341
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

52A wrote:
52D wrote:I thought the use of the V3 was due to route availability can you clarify?.
Alas I cannot remember the RA of the branch but the diesels with the highest RA (7) were the 45/6s and they went down. The only thing I can remember was that double heading was not allowed, assistant engines must be attached to the rear. Perhaps there was a restriction because of curvature. I know it was a bloody awful job and everyone tried to avoid being lumbered with it!
the boat trains [and oil trains] involved a reversal at percy main as the the branch came down from from backworth i dont know the destination of the oil trains that went up to backworth.the boat trains later turned over to dmus. now one or two double deck buses have a parking spot outside the west end of the central sta to take passengers to the commisiners quay depending on the season .it was a long drag all the way up to backworth.the aim of the north tyne side railway was to go all the way down to there but the owners of the redundent oil terminal[shell????] will not allow it as they wanted sell the whole package of land in one piece and do not want a line cutting it in two so it is impasse.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

The building of the oil terminal -fire risk- was given at the time C1963 as the reason for the ending of the use of V tanks down to TCQ. Though I think that one or two may in fact have sneaked through after the cut off date.