A1 Trust New Build Steam

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Rlangham, richard, Tom F, Atlantic 3279, Colombo, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

User avatar
sawdust
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:27 pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by sawdust » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:16 am

The sleeper at Pickering is green and cream if you are curious what a Mk3 in that livery looks like.

Coronation livery would be much more striking though. I'm afraid you'll just have to trust me on that!

Sawdust.

User avatar
sawdust
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:27 pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by sawdust » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:18 am

DonnyRailMan wrote:What kind of livery do you think the Mk3 coaches will eventually run in behind Tornado. A1SLT Tours logo along sides of coaches maybe?.
I'd be amazed if it wasn't an LNER related livery.

Sawdust.

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:46 am

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by jwealleans » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:00 pm

4498's support coach was in Coronation colours in the late 1980s when it worked from Marylebone. I helped paint it.

Does anyone have any pictures of that? I can't really recall what it looked like in a train now.

DonnyRailMan
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:46 pm
Location: White Rose County Gresley & Peppercorn Country

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by DonnyRailMan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:45 pm

sawdust wrote:
DonnyRailMan wrote:What kind of livery do you think the Mk3 coaches will eventually run in behind Tornado. A1SLT Tours logo along sides of coaches maybe?.
I'd be amazed if it wasn't an LNER related livery.

Sawdust.
Yes somthing along them lines would be good, even Tornado would look smart with LNER on tender .

JASd17
NER C7 4-4-2
Posts: 816
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by JASd17 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:06 pm

jwealleans wrote:4498's support coach was in Coronation colours in the late 1980s when it worked from Marylebone. I helped paint it.

Does anyone have any pictures of that? I can't really recall what it looked like in a train now.
JW there are a couple here from 1982.

http://www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk/presphoto01.shtml

John

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:46 am

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by jwealleans » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:44 pm

Cheers, John. If it was the same carriage (I was less involved then through doing O then A levels) then it may have been painted a different colour in between. I was in my second year at Uni as I recall, which would have made it 1986. What I can't remember is what colour it was when we were scraping it down. It is visible in some of the 1986/7 shots with the 'A4 Locomotive Society Limited' lettering (I think that's what it said).

User avatar
sawdust
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:27 pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by sawdust » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:32 pm

I've seen a vehicle in Coronation livery (this week, well yesterday actually). This has been painted using original samples of paint as a colour reference. I can assure you that the pale blue used on the SNG support coach back in the day was far too pale. The garter blue picks up so much light, it is very hard to photograph.

I'm afraid I can't publish any photos yet, you'll just have to trust me when I say it is the most stunning painted carriage livery I have ever seen.

Sawdust.

Hatfield Shed
GNR C1 4-4-2
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by Hatfield Shed » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Cannot use the Coronation livery as that was 'copied' by BR for its craptorate image. The Silver Bullet's livery OTOH should sit very nicely on these vehicles; flush sided, streamlined, valanced, air-conned. It's back to the future,,,

User avatar
sawdust
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:27 pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by sawdust » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Hatfield Shed wrote:Cannot use the Coronation livery as that was 'copied' by BR for its craptorate image. The Silver Bullet's livery OTOH should sit very nicely on these vehicles; flush sided, streamlined, valanced, air-conned. It's back to the future,,,
No I saw a blue and grey mk2 yesterday too and it was nothing like the coronation livery.

Sawdust.

61962
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:20 pm

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by 61962 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:02 am

SNG's support vehicle Mark 1 BCK E21096 arrived at Carnforth directly out of service in BR blue/grey livery. It was repainted by a small team in the Nissan hut carriage shed over the following winter. The Marlborough blue was carefully researched with the paint supplier and nobody made any comment at the time as far as I know. Not so for the Garter blue which various people had remarked on as being too green, too red, to light, to dark and so on. People's memory of colours is extremely subjective and the last time the Coronation livery was seen was just after the war, so it was over 30 years at the time. It looked all right to me as I put it on, but I had only ever seen it in rare colour photographs. We did have a look for samples on the observation car that was parked near it but I don't recall finding any. I've attached before and after photographs for info. I recall that 21096 was repainted in BR maroon when it was overhauled in the early 90s and ran with 4498 in Garter blue for a time.

I wouldn't like to predict the livery of the A1 Trust set, but I suspect it will be something original to reinforce the groups corporate identity.

Eddie
Attachments
21096 in BR Blue.jpg
21096 in Coronation Livery.jpg

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:46 am

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by jwealleans » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:03 am

We're well off the OP now, but in case anyone hasn't seen it, here's some colour film of the Coronation, believed to be 1939.

Hatfield Shed
GNR C1 4-4-2
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by Hatfield Shed » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:13 am

sawdust wrote:
Hatfield Shed wrote:Cannot use the Coronation livery as that was 'copied' by BR for its craptorate image. The Silver Bullet's livery OTOH should sit very nicely on these vehicles; flush sided, streamlined, valanced, air-conned. It's back to the future,,,
No I saw a blue and grey mk2 yesterday too and it was nothing like the coronation livery...
Fear not, I do appreciate that; thus the 'copied' as in cut price knock-off.

Mercator II
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:14 pm

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by Mercator II » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:11 pm

Just completed a tour from KX to Lincoln with the trust,and had a brief chat with Mark about the colour options. He is very certain on what scheme it will not be, Tourist Stock wasn't an executive train in its day and the colours are dull and not what the trust is aiming to promote

The choice currently is down to two options, either Carmine & Cream or Teak. The later is favoured. Now this is where it gets interesting, when asked re fading, Mark said not a problem, been mk3 it won't be painted but over laid with vinyl covers. This gives an option for a full teak effect or scumbled ala Thompson

When asked about other named trains (is Coronation) he was neither in favour or dismissive

So I hope this helps, but it is happening, he had a meeting onboard about the stock, it is ear marked with an intention to transfer ownership asap
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired

User avatar
sawdust
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:27 pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by sawdust » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:17 am

Mercator II wrote:Just completed a tour from KX to Lincoln with the trust,and had a brief chat with Mark about the colour options. He is very certain on what scheme it will not be, Tourist Stock wasn't an executive train in its day and the colours are dull and not what the trust is aiming to promote

The choice currently is down to two options, either Carmine & Cream or Teak. The later is favoured. Now this is where it gets interesting, when asked re fading, Mark said not a problem, been mk3 it won't be painted but over laid with vinyl covers. This gives an option for a full teak effect or scumbled ala Thompson

When asked about other named trains (is Coronation) he was neither in favour or dismissive

So I hope this helps, but it is happening, he had a meeting onboard about the stock, it is ear marked with an intention to transfer ownership asap
Interesting stuff, thanks for that.

Sawdust.

User avatar
2392
H&BR Q10 0-8-0
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:29 pm
Location: South of the Tyne.

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by 2392 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:50 pm

Her's another thought/idea after having read Mercator II's remarks. Reporting Mark Allatts remarks about the possible scumble teak paint scheme of the MkIIIs. I've had a thought, if the Trust were to acquire enough to make two sets [plus spares]. How about turning one set out in pre-war style teak complete with [ok] painted beading as per the majority of Gresley stock and the other in post-war teak as per the recently restored Thompson TK 1623. That statement isn't as outragous as it may appear, in so much as there was a batch or two of the "classic" Gresley teaks turned out with steel rather than timber skins. They looked ok in the scumbled and painted beaded/lined teak livery, though looked decidedly odd once painted in B.R. colours as there wasn't any genuine beading on the body. So the "beaded" set being earmarked for the P2 and "Thompson style" teaks for Tornado.

Post Reply