Ian Allan Publishing Transport Titles sold to Crecy

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Ian Allan Publishing Transport Titles sold to Crecy

Post by 65447 »

Crecy Publications has acquired the above imprint, see: http://www.crecy.co.uk/cms.php?page_id=47

Reading the announcement it includes the OPC imprint and also the forward list of items in preparation.
Mickey

Re: Ian Allan Publishing Transport Titles sold to Crecy

Post by Mickey »

Good to know that the new owner's will keep the Waterloo shop open in Lower Marsh (near to London's Waterloo station) as I like to visit it occasionally.

Mickey
robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by robertcwp »

The shops are remaining with Ian Allan group and are not transferring to Crecy.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

On reflection, I'm wondering what might be happening to the Ian Allan library - full of interesting and often rare photographs of all manner of railway subjects?
robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by robertcwp »

I heard today that the Ian Allan photo library has gone to Crecy.
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

65447 wrote:On reflection, I'm wondering what might be happening to the Ian Allan library - full of interesting and often rare photographs of all manner of railway subjects?
If you sent photographs unsolicited to IA for possible publication, they would keep them. You would get paid if they eventually published them (ten bob for a full page photo and they declared you income to the Inland Revenue) so one might guess how the collection was built up.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

I think we should deal with both the IA Library and the Loco Publishing Co separately. The IA Library was made up of a collection of photographic prints which may or may not have come from the Loco Publishing Co negatives. In my experience, IA retained any prints which they came by, either from individual submissions or from official sources, being branded thereafter Ian Allan Library copyright, which many of them were not!

The LPC negatives were marketed, somewhat unsuccessfully, in the mid 1960s having been re-catalogued by the late Henry Casserley. In the 1970s they were passed to Stanley Rhodes of Real Photos who did market them successfully for a while until Stanley's retirement in about 1980, when the negatives were subsumed together with the Real Photos collection into the National Collection at the NRM. Many of the LPC negatives were carefully copied officials. All these negatives when printed now are Crown Copyright, although original prints are now likely to be out of copyright having run out of date.