History of Railwaywomen

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Railwaywoman
NER Y7 0-4-0T

History of Railwaywomen

Post by Railwaywoman »

I just realised that I posted this in the wrong place - sorry!

My new book on Railwaywomen has just been published this week.

The book, which has already been widely acclaimed, covers the history of women in all grades of railway work from 1830 to the present day. All companies are mentioned and so of course that includes the NER/LNER. The book has been compiled using a mixture of personal anecdotes, official documents and press cuttings, so it isn't stuffy or overly academic, nor is it too anecdotal.

With a combination of humour and seriousness I hope I've made it an interesting read for a general audience. Here's what's been said by reviewers so far.

“An unbiased, academically excellent and very entertaining work of history. Beautifully written from what has clearly been meticulous research. The author’s concern for honesty and justice shines forth.”
Adrian Vaughan

“An entirely new contribution to railway history, this important book fills a large gap in the literature, and is enriched by valuable oral testimony.”
Dr Terry Gourvish, LSE

“Fascinating reading. Helena’s style keeps you interested and wanting to read more. Strongly recommended.” Pat Hammond

“Such tales, such adventures and such
achievements against the odds. Heroically researched, illuminatingly written and entertaining. I loved it.” Dale Spender

“I am very impressed.” George Ottley

“Superb documentary evidence. Future historians will see this work as the definitive history of women in the railway industry.”
Dr Gillian Reynolds, Coventry University

“This authoritative account of the contribution that women have made to Britain’s railways is long overdue. It was worth waiting for.”
Grahame Boyes, Railway & Canal Historical Society

“A wonderfully complete picture of railwaywomen in war and peace.” Gail Braybon, historian

“Meticulous archival research. Traces the trials, tribulations and triumphs of women’s attempts to earn a fair and decent living in this male-dominated industry.”
Dr Gerry Holloway, Sussex University

“This book is a joy to read. The women are brought to life in a welter of colourful anecdotes. Seldom has serious social research been so thoroughly entertaining.” Richard Elmore

“The definitive guide to the place of women
in the history of Britain’s railways.” The Argus

The book is a 384-page hardback with over 90 pages of photographs.
You can purchase a signed copy direct from me for £25. I accept cash, cheques, Paypal and bank transfer.

Helena
see my website @ www.railwaywomen.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Helena will be on Woman's Hour on Thursday (8th Sept.) between 10am - 1045am, BBC Radio 4.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia