LNERCA Set put out of action on the NYMR

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: LNERCA Set put out of action on the NYMR

Post by john coffin »

Whilst I have no sympathy for the vandalism, I do find myself wondering whether we would complain so much if other things about which we here
are so passionate were vandalised. ie memorials, empty houses etc.

Outside the railway, there is probably little for the younger generation in Pickering to do, and let's be practical there are likely to be some drugs
or alcohol behind it too, or a gang of "yobs" egging each other on. What is fascinating is how long they seem to have gone on doing it, and that no
one else around complained about the noise. There are a few houses near the carriage sidings, so what is going on there too?

It does seem to me that modern vandalism is worse than it used to be in that there seems to be no logic to the kind of vandalism carried out.
Somehow there seems to be a modern idea that restoration and hand work are totally different from mine, it has only value to nerds like us
who enjoy "looking backwards" I wonder how we came to this point.

What is certain is that these kids must be made to undertake a lot of hard labour restoration work on the railway, not sure I would trust them anywhere near the rolling stock again, and actually made to pay any compensation they might be charged which is something which rarely happens in this modern
police age.

Sadly, this stuff happens at Tanfield, which some might say has even more valuable stuff, in that it is pre grouping, and I am sure other preserved railways which have more miles of fencing that can be adequately patrolled by voluntary stuff. Some even happens on event days which is more
disturbing.

Sawdust I am really saddened that your work has been damaged, and hope you raise enough to restore them in a shorter time than the original
restoration and can create a programme that might involve the local kids to ensure that they understand the value of preservation to future,
and would not in the future want to do such a thing again.

We need to ensure that more youngsters value our past, by being involved in preserving it. Punishment alone will not change the idea that destruction would be fun. We are biased but that does not mean we are wrong.

Paul
G7PXK
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by G7PXK »

STAFFORDA4 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm My immediate feelings on hearing that (presumably) two 17 year old lads were responsible is can they be made to repay the damage by somehow being made to assist the LNERCA guys in the re-restoration of said carriages? I know most of us initially felt "horsewhipping" is the answer but I wondered how we could harness such youthful stupidity into a positive move for both their futures and the railway's.
Perhaps the 16/17 year olds who last week were throwing acid in to peoples faces could be made to work in spec savers how we could harness such youthful stupidity into a positive move.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Thankfully BTO 43567 "missed out" on being damaged. As She's standing in as brake vehicle on the Pullman Diner for 1928 Queen of Scots Pullman Brake Car 79 of Hornby Dublo, Triang and the modern day Hornby fame. 79 being is being given a really serious heavy overhaul.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A terrible act of vandalism, that doe's nobody any good, but two points, One, We're lucky they didn't set them on fire, and two, when there caught, don't transport them to Australia, we've enough idiot's here already, but today, there called .........refugee's.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

No worries, Manna. We've got plenty of 'cool' islands for them to live on up in the Canadian High Arctic. :wink:
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

giner wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:35 pm No worries, Manna. We've got plenty of 'cool' islands for them to live on up in the Canadian High Arctic. :wink:
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

As something of an update, seeing as it's nearly 10 days since the last post to this thread. Here's some better/good news, Great Northern invalid saloon [4]3087 has re-entered service as she was the least damaged/easiest to repair, of the 7 carriages attacked. Work is still progressing on the rest. Unfortunately a big problem is that many of the damaged/destroyed fittings and fixtures are one off/limited production pieces, thus adding to the cost as they have to be specially made, which will have to be in some case reproduced from scratch again. Thankfully LNERCA have replacement fabric for the seats having bought the minimum order run. [For use on their own vehicles as well as for sale to other restorers]. As things stand it looks like the Buffet 641 will need to be sent away as repairs are a bit more involved, though I think that they are taking advantage to do do some more major overhaul repairs that are needed too. On the plus side there was a retired cafe owner out there who happened to have a spare glass liner [in her garage] for the tea urn on the counter, as she when running her cafe used the same type to brew up!

Last time I looked [Thursday night 4/8/17] at the "flash" appeal on the NYMR website £41,750.65 +/- and counting had been raised, towards the repairs.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

So for some even better news. All the "teaks" bar Thompson TK 1623 are back in service. The problems with 1623 [ironically the latest vehicle to enter service] are due not having spare reading /shoulder light fittings and fixtures. So the LNERCA are having to have a new batch made specially again, unfortunately one of companies that specialize in these has ceased trading. Thus exacerbating the problem, as it took a year to have the 28+/- made last go round.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

No, all the teaks apart from 641 are back in service. Although 3669,1623 and 23956 were all in Pickering yard yesterday having odd jobs done on them. 1623 now sports seat numbers so we don't need paper numbers in every window.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Indeed I've just watched the teaks leave Grosmont on the 16:30 and it's 641, that's still out :(
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Excellent news. Time for another visit. (It just wouldn't be the same without a ride on Gresley bogies!)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

All involved in the amazingly speedy turn around deserve hearty congratulations.

Nothing would now raise my sprits further, unless it were news of something utterly dreadful happening to the culprits......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Taken last week while on holiday.

They looked great to me but were described as 'temporarily patched up' by the volunteer I spoke with. Either way congratulations to the volunteers at the NYMR for getting as many teaks as they have back into service so quickly. I hope that the funds for the full repairs will be available soon and I'm glad that those who caused such pointless damage have been apprehended.
Steve
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

On my annual family holiday to Yorkshire to get back to my roots (and to give my daughter her first dose of sulpher n soot) we took the mid morning departure from Pickering to Grosmont, and to my delight saw the teaks roll in whilst strolling up platform 2 behind a grimy black 5 (can't have everything!!)

The wife n baby went up to the end of the train whilst I shared my enthusiasm with my 3year old son telling him about the different coaches. We travelled in the leading coach behind the loco, in the brake corridor third as we need the guards area for pushchair. And I have to admit, if I hadn't seen the images of the damage, I would not of been able to tell, the set was turned out lovely.

We stayed onboard for the return as it was raining in Grosmont when we arrived and decided that a picnic onboard was a more appealing than on the platform

As daughter was grumpy and in need of a sleep, I took the chance of a stroll down the train to try and settle her, and had a nosey around the rest of the coaches. The two open thirds where as wow as the first time I saw them, the leather arm chairs in one was just great. Then when entering the firsts, all the team who have lovingly restored them was easily seen. The GN saloon on the end was even more lavish, and I would gladly pay the £4pp when the pushchair is retired, and I have ideas brewing for my 50th birthday

So a big thank you to all who have sweated to get these pieces of history back into service so quickly

And to all the volunteers and staff on duty yesterday, another day enjoyed, with a big thank you to the foot plate crew who invited my son on the foot plate
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Mercator II wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 pm On my annual family holiday to Yorkshire to get back to my roots (and to give my daughter her first dose of sulpher n soot) we took the mid morning departure from Pickering to Grosmont, and to my delight saw the teaks roll in whilst strolling up platform 2 behind a grimy black 5 (can't have everything!!)

The wife n baby went up to the end of the train whilst I shared my enthusiasm with my 3year old son telling him about the different coaches. We travelled in the leading coach behind the loco, in the brake corridor third as we need the guards area for pushchair. And I have to admit, if I hadn't seen the images of the damage, I would not of been able to tell, the set was turned out lovely.

We stayed onboard for the return as it was raining in Grosmont when we arrived and decided that a picnic onboard was a more appealing than on the platform

As daughter was grumpy and in need of a sleep, I took the chance of a stroll down the train to try and settle her, and had a nosey around the rest of the coaches. The two open thirds where as wow as the first time I saw them, the leather arm chairs in one was just great. Then when entering the firsts, all the team who have lovingly restored them was easily seen. The GN saloon on the end was even more lavish, and I would gladly pay the £4pp when the pushchair is retired, and I have ideas brewing for my 50th birthday

So a big thank you to all who have sweated to get these pieces of history back into service so quickly

And to all the volunteers and staff on duty yesterday, another day enjoyed, with a big thank you to the foot plate crew who invited my son on the foot plate
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves Mercator II/Bryan. Hope the bairn managed to nod off. Which reminds me, as part of the affilated collection of unrestored cariages. We have a "Day Sleeper" [not sure of the Diagram number] 1299. It's a carriage that has convertable compartments fitted with fold away bunks, each of the compartments sleeping 4. Ideal for you and the family :wink: :) ! The plan/idea for 1299 is to restore one compartment complete with bunks so as to demonstrate to the public.